Operating System - HP-UX
1751694 Members
4895 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

32 bit PA-RISC app move to Aries on rx series - uses 32 bit shared memory!

Scott Donaldson
Advisor

32 bit PA-RISC app move to Aries on rx series - uses 32 bit shared memory!

Hello,

We are tasked with supporting an older 32 bit application/database (think Multivalue and/or Pick like environment).

It is currently running on an HP 9000/R390 which is using a HASS Storage enclosure (A3312A). HP, to their credit, has supported this config under contract maint. for some time for us. However when we renewed our hardware maint in April 2010, HP noted on our contract that the A3312A could not be maintained beyond 31 Dec 2010. Fair enough...

I think I have two options: find new storage for the R390 OR run the app under ARIES on an rx (Itanium) server. The app is not a challenge to modern hardware in terms of storage (it currently has 4 GB allocated and only uses 3 GB of that) and works well enough on the PA 8200/240 MHz cpus in the R390, running with 3 GB of memory.

I experimented with running the app on 64 bit PA kernels but it didn't work. The shared memory model changes between 32 bit and 64 bit.

So the question is: does ARIES run 32 bit apps with the 32 bit shared memory model?

I've read through the ARIES web pages and found this reference in the aries (5) man page:

"ARIES supports all HP-UX Inter-Process Communication mechanisms such as semaphores, pipes, shared memory, and sockets, between Integrity native and emulated PA-RISC processes."

But it doesn't quite provide the assurance I am seeking.

Note that I DO NOT have source code.

2 REPLIES 2
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: 32 bit PA-RISC app move to Aries on rx series - uses 32 bit shared memory!

>I experimented with running the app on 64 bit PA kernels but it didn't work. The shared memory model changes between 32 bit and 64 bit.

I wasn't aware of any differences whether you have a 32 or 64 bit kernel. Can you be more specific about what's different?
How much shared memory and how many segments?
How may processes are sharing?
What does "ipcs -ma" show?
What HP-UX version are you using?

>So the question is: does ARIES run 32 bit apps with the 32 bit shared memory model?

I would assume so.

>"ARIES supports all HP-UX Inter-Process Communication mechanisms
>But it doesn't quite provide the assurance I am seeking.

What more than "supports all" do you want? :-)
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: 32 bit PA-RISC app move to Aries on rx series - uses 32 bit shared memory!

You never answered Don's questions in your previous thread:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1174939