5144 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

FTP abort on hp 10.20

Jasper Lai
Occasional Advisor

Re: FTP abort on hp 10.20

Dear all expert,

After discuss with my colleague, we guess the job is not abort or 'dead', it may just hang in the FTP process, so the script also hang.
I agree with him, because I remember one time that I think it is 'abort' for several hours, I type ps -ef to check. I did see the ftp and that script in the list.

do you have any suggestion?

very thanks.
-Jasper
Jasper Lai
Occasional Advisor

Hi All,

I have got the NT 4 FTP log, and exam that when our script put/get file to that FTP server and 'hang', the FTP server log error 425 and/or 426.

Is it a problem on the network connection?
It seem the connection is lost, and our script wait a whole day(hang).
The file we put/get are very small, about serveral K.
Can the ftp command in our script timeout for a specific seconds of no network activity?
I have exam the ftp man page, there is a command 'idle' , is it useful to my case?
and can 'passive' command useful?

Thanks,

-Jasper
Steve Steel
Honored Contributor

Hi

look at nettune

TCP Keepalive 10 minutes
abort 2 minutes later:
nettune
nettune -s tcp_keepstart 600
nettune -s tcp_keepfreq 5
nettune -s tcp_keepstop 120

Steve Steel
If you want truly to understand something, try to change it. (Kurt Lewin)
Jasper Lai
Occasional Advisor

Hi Steve,

What is nettune?
How I can use it to debug my problem?

This is very great to discuss with experts here, I have learn so much!

Thanks,
-Jasper
Steve Steel
Honored Contributor

Hi

A new network node-management tool called nettune. It is used to modify certain kernel parameters that control networking defaults such as keepalive timers. nettune is in /usr/contrib/bin.

nettune has a manpage on 10.20 and you can use it to force the connections to break after a time

NETTUNE

At HP-UX 10.0, there was a new command called nettune that provides an interface for configuration and tuning of various network parameters. nettune supports a consistent, reliable, and secure method for you to use to tune network parameters based on your performance and configuration needs. nettune allows you to view (get) or change (set) the value of many networking parameters, such as the TCP keep-alive timeout value(s), default socket buffer sizes, or the enabling/disabling of IP forwarding. All users may view the values of supported configurable network parameters, but only those with super-user capability can update a parameter. nettune is command-line driven and has an online help facility that briefly describes the available configurable values. nettune is in /usr/contrib/bin, and is not supported by Hewlett-Packard.

For more information on nettune, refer to the nettune(1) manpage in /usr/contrib/man/man1.

Steve Steel

If you want truly to understand something, try to change it. (Kurt Lewin)