1753850 Members
7715 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Copying Data from internal Disk to SAN Lun

Shelley_Pope
Occasional Contributor

Copying Data from internal Disk to SAN Lun

Hello I'm new to this so I'm hoping you can offer me some suggestions on the correct way to move data from an internal disk to a SAN Lun.   HP-UX 11.23 PA-RISC

I have a mountpoint on vg00 that I need to move to a SAN Lun so that it will get backed up so I can recover it in our DR process.  We are not able to recover it from the Ignite backup because there are 2 internal disks and we run out of space.

This is the method I was going to using pvmove (as this could work at the lvol level but not sure how it would working with mirroring as all of vg00 is mirrored) - please let me know if this looks correct to you:-

1 pvcreate new disk

2. vgextend vg00 to include new disk

3. Reduce the mirror for mountpoint copying over using lvreduce -m 0

4. pvmove -n lvolname olddisk newdisk

5. lvextend to mirror it to the secondary internal disk

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

It is actually much easier than you described.
Use pvcreate and vgextend as you outlined.
But rather than pvmove, simply mirror the desired lvols to the new LUN.
HP-UX mirroring allows triple mirroring, so it would look like this:

pvcreate /dev/rdsk/<CTDname>
vgextend vg00 /dev/dsk/<CTDname>
lvextend -m 2 /dev/vg00/lvol8 /dev/dsk/<CTDname>

This copies everything to the new LUN.
However, this is probably not what you need since the 3 disks are still part of vg00.

I'm not sure what you mean by running out of space with the Ignite backup.
Do you mean that when you are backing up to tape, the tape is too small for all of vg00?
If so, you can move a large lvol to another VG made up with SAN LUNs.

But there are specfic mountpoints that need to be local to vg00 after restoring.

Post a listing from bdf:

bdf -l | grep /dev/vg00/ | sort -k3

and the tape drive capacity or model number.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
rachelgomez_123
Advisor

If the target LUN is larger, there are two steps to use the extra space after migrationтАж

1.) In properties, the LUN itself will show up with a current size equal to the old LUNтАЩs size, you will need to change it to Max size.

2.) Then you can go to windows and extend the partition with Disk Management, Diskpart, or a 3rd party tool.

If the LUN is participating in Snapview (snaps or clones) or Mirrorview sessions, it will not let you change the LUN size in properties. Those relationships will need to be removed.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez