Lor
Frequent Advisor

/etc/lvmpvg & /etc/lvmtab

Gentlemen,
Just for curiosity.

Running HP-UX 10.20 on different LVM configured servers, I find the following :

- on some servers, /etc/lvmpvg file exists
but is is empty :-(

- on other servers, it doesn't exist at all (?)

On all these servers disks are under LVM management and everything works fine.

For my understanding,

- what is the difference between /etc/lvmtab and /etc/lvmpvg ?
man on lvmpvg says it is supposed to hold information on physical LVM mapping (To my understanding this is /etc/lvmtab role)

- how to explain the existance (or not) of
the /etc/lvmpvg file

Thank you.

Hugues
4 REPLIES 4
Vince Inman
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: /etc/lvmpvg & /etc/lvmtab

The /etc/lvmtab is basically LVM's database of what has been config'd using LVM, it is ritical to the proper functioning of LVM.

The /etc/lvmpvg is nothing more than a flat file which can be used to segregate physical volumes WITHIN a volume group. As an example, I always create a PVGs for the root vg with two PVG's; one for the root primary and another for the root mirror. This prevents problems like mirroring a LV to the same disk where the primary exists.

The /etc/lvmpvg file has absolutely no bearing on the functionality of LVM whereas the /etc/lvmtab is critical.
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

This file is not required for LVM unless you are using physical volume (PV) strict allocation.

See the man page for vgcreate.

"Downtime is a Crime."
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

/etc/lvmtab
is like /etc/fstab, a list of all VGs and disks in each one. do a strings /etc/lvmtab to see them all in a nice format.

/etc/lvmpvg
is for lvols created using the -D (distributed) option which allows you to place lvols/striped lvols/mirrors on certain lvm groups (which have specific disks in them)
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Doug Sperle
Occasional Advisor

You can force the creation of the /etc/lvmtab file by typing vgscan -av as root.