Operating System - HP-UX
1753969 Members
7162 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

VG is maxed out 6 PE out of 6 - all extents are full - need to increase number of PVs to 12

SOLVED
Go to solution
tazhasan
Occasional Advisor

VG is maxed out 6 PE out of 6 - all extents are full - need to increase number of PVs to 12

Hi

I have a VG:

--- Volume groups ---
VG Name /dev/R12LAT
VG Write Access read/write
VG Status available, exclusive
Max LV 255
Cur LV 4
Open LV 4
Max PV 6
Cur PV 6
Act PV 6
Max PE per PV 17000
VGDA 12
PE Size (Mbytes) 8
Total PE 77818
Alloc PE 77818
Free PE 0
Total PVG 0
Total Spare PVs 0
Total Spare PVs in use 0

with no free PE's.  I want to increase number of PV's to 12, but when I deactivate and take, I get:

vgmodify -n -p 12 R12LAT

Current Volume Group settings:
Max LV 255
Max PV 6
Max PE per PV 17000
PE Size (Mbytes) 8
VGRA Size (Kbytes) 864
vgmodify: This operation can only be completed if PE number zero on "/dev/rdsk/c31t7d2" is freed
vgmodify: This operation can only be completed if PE number zero on "/dev/rdsk/c31t6d7" is freed
vgmodify: This operation can only be completed if PE number zero on "/dev/rdsk/c31t7d1" is freed
vgmodify: This operation can only be completed if PE number zero on "/dev/rdsk/c31t7d0" is freed
vgmodify: This operation can only be completed if PE number zero on "/dev/rdsk/c31t7d3" is freed
vgmodify: This operation can only be completed if PE number zero on "/dev/rdsk/c31t8d7" is freed

I'm running 11.23.  ANy ideas?

Regards

Tariq

1 REPLY 1
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: VG is maxed out 6 PE out of 6 - all extents are full - need to increase number of PVs to 12

At this point you are pretty much out of luck.

The only option I can see, if you truly need to expand that particular VG, is to back up your data, blow away the VG, recreate the VG with all the disks you need, recreate your LVs, and restore your data.

The fact that you have no free extents, which prevents you from moving extent 0 from all disks so that  vgmodify can be used, is the reason for this.