M and MSM Series
1754014 Members
7463 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSM430 only transmitting in 5GHz, not 2.4GHz.

ndoudna
Frequent Advisor

MSM430 only transmitting in 5GHz, not 2.4GHz.

I have 3 MSM430s that I turned up one at a time in autonomous mode.  But none of them are transmitting on the 2.4GHz radio -- only in 5GHz!  I noticed that my handhelds weren't picking up the new VSCs, but my 5GHz-enabled laptops were.  InSSIDer confirmed this.

On the MSM430, the only option for wireless mode on Radio 1 is "802.11n/a".  Radio 2 is set to "802.11n/b/g" (default), though it also has an option for 802.11n/a.

In the AP's GUI, under Wireless -> Radios, Radio 2 (2.4GHz) shows "Currently: N/A" above the Automatic channel exclusion list.  Radio 1 (5GHz) shows "Currently: Channel 36, 5.180GHz".  Both Radios are checked.

All 3 APs are behaving the same way -- no transmitting in 2.4GHz.  Is there a setting I'm missing or a piece of tape I haven't pulled off or something?

thanks!

noemi

2 REPLIES 2
ndoudna
Frequent Advisor

Additional: if I set the channel from Automatic to Channel 1, for instance, then "Currently: " shows up as Channel 1 -- but it's still not broadcasting in 2.4GHz.

I tried disabling Radio 1 (802.11n/a) (uncheck), but Radio 2 is still not transmitting in 2.4GHz.

I tried disabling Radio 1, then setting Radio 2 to 5GHz (802.11n/a) to see if Radio 2 would broadcast at all, but the error "Cannot set more than one radio in Access Point mode on the 5GHz band."  (So what's the point of Radio 2 having a 802.11n/a setting if you can't use it?) 

Also tried putting Radio 1 into Monitor mode, and Radio 2 into 802.11n/b/g mode, but then an error comes up that you can't put a radio into Monitor mode when a VSC is bound to it.  That's odd, since there are no VSC bindings in autonomous mode.

These APs are running 5.5.2.0.

help!

noemi

ISoliman
Super Advisor

You have already solved this if i'm not mistaken in another post, right ?