1753317 Members
5539 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2050 filled with 24 SFF 10k SAS drives

Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

2050 filled with 24 SFF 10k SAS drives

Suppose I have a 1050 or 2050 filled with 24 SFF 10k SAS drives.

Or a 2050 with 12 15k SAS drives and 12 10k SAS drives, each group configured as separate pools and LUNs.

Will end users notice anything "slow"??

I doubt it....no superhuge databases or anything.

Thank you, Tom

4 REPLIES 4

You missed one important factor which is RAID

In case 24 SFF 10K SAS drives, there could be many possibilities. You need to consider RAID and Power of 2 as well.

In 2nd condition little impact will be there where any volume created from Pool where 15K drives paritcipated, performance will be little faster. Again VDG RAID level matters here as well.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

With this many disks I was thinking keep it simple, avoid potential problems with disk failures, and use RAID 6 on the SAN....I know with next-day disk replacement RAID 5 would be possible too but somewhat riskier while waiting for the new disk to arrive.

So....RAID 6 with this many disks?? -- acceptable or awful?? Or somewhere in between??

Thank you, Tom

Regarding RAID selection, there are lot of factors matters like what type of application that you want to use.

Yes you are correct that RAID 6 provides more safety compare to RAID 5 in terms of drive failure but you need to keep in mind that RAID 6 much slower compare to RAID 5 because due to double parity calculation write will take more time compare to read in case of RAID 6. So if your requirement is read intensive application then RAID 5 or RAID 6 will be ok.

Better to involve a Solution Consultant or Solution Architect and review your requirement - based on that you should go for your configuration.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo

Do you have any update or outstanding query?

Request you to please update on the forum so that everyone can get the update who are all following.

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with answers then kindly mark the forum as resolved.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo