1752798 Members
5883 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

HPE MSA 2052 DRS

DiagoFernandes
Advisor

HPE MSA 2052 DRS

I have recently configured HPE MSA 2052 to use with Vmware vSphere 7.0 and came across below while reading best MSA 2052 practices guide.

Question: Do i have to configure anything in MSA 2052 to harness the benefit of DRS and I/O balancing provided by MSA storage array controller, or it is something happening by defaut.

Does it mean it is a subsiture for VMware DRS feature found in its enterprise licence offering?

Distributed Resource Scheduler
VMware vCenter Datastore Clusters provide a feature called Storage Distributed Resource Scheduler (SDRS) with I/O load balancing. The intent of this feature is to balance and distribute VM storage needs across traditional physical disk based LUNs.
Because the MSA Storage Array controller and virtual volumes provide the benefits of DRS and I/O balancing dynamically, the VMware’s DRS and I/O load balancing are not needed with virtual volumes as long as all hosts in the cluster share the same MSA volume mappings.
Best practice: In the vCenter administration tools, do not enable DRS and I/O load balancing on data storage clusters that are solely based on MSA Virtual Volumes.

Unquote

1 REPLY 1

Re: HPE MSA 2052 DRS

Yes MSA Storage Array controller and virtual volumes provide the benefits of DRS and I/O balancing dynamically.

VMware’s DRS and I/O load balancing are not needed with virtual volumes as long as all hosts in the cluster share the same MSA volume mappings.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo