108798 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA 2040 how to remove a disk from a volume and make it a spare

SOLVED
Go to solution
Scott_K
Occasional Advisor

MSA 2040 how to remove a disk from a volume and make it a spare

I have an MSA 2040 with 24 disks: 16 were assigned to 1 volume group and 8 to another.  No disks were left as spares.  Both volumes are using RAID 6.  I would like to remove a disk from the smaller volume (which is only 1% used) and designate it as a spare.  I have not found documentation on how to do that.  Is it possible?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: MSA 2040 how to remove a disk from a volume and make it a spare

@Scott_K 

You can't remove or add any drive to the existing Virtual Disk Group(VDG).

I am assuming both VDG part of same pool. You can delete the small VDG and whatever data exists in this VDG will drain out to bigger VDG. Then you can create new VDG with 7 drives and configure 1 drive as spare drive.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Scott_K
Occasional Advisor

Thank you.  Until your post, I hadn't really paid attention to the use of Pools.  Unfortunately, the HP consultant who setup our system put each VDG in its own pool so your solution will not work.  It appears I will have to manually copy the data from that volume and delete the volume so I can recreate the disk group in the first pool.

Solution

@Scott_K 

Yes your understanding is correct.

Do you have any outstanding query on this topic?

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with the answer then kindly mark the forum as resolved so that everyone who are following this forum will get the update.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Lekhpal
Advisor

@Scott_K Hi Scott.

How did the manual copy/migration went.  Do you have some steps or tips to share on that process.  Did you used any inbuilt HPE tool to do that like 'volumecopy'  etc.   Best

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @Lekhpal,

Thank you for posting. Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and assist you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo