1752802 Members
5752 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA 2050 Overcommitted Storage Pool

Tim Gowen
Contributor

MSA 2050 Overcommitted Storage Pool

I have a problem with an MSA2050 which may be self-inflicted but I'm not sure how best to resolve it. This is the error:

pool1.jpg

I am new to MSA, so may have set it up incorrectly. The MSA is fully populated but the drives that have been created in Windows 2016 Server are not full. 

How can I resolve this error?

The pool is set up like this:2019-12-30 09_16_15-Microsoft Edge.png

Can I simply add a couple of large drives or remove some drives from the pool and restore the backup, or will the storage shrink with the data intact?

4 REPLIES 4

Right now Pool A not yet full, just that page allocation reached to a state where it crossed high threshold and that's why Pool A show degraded

You can create new VDG with same 4 drives and same RAID10 then add it to Pool A. This should fix your issue.

I am not sure what is the condition of the Volume belongs to Pool A, I mean Thin provision size of the volume at MSA and how much space left in block level. Sameway how much space used at Windows filesystem level. If we consider space reclaim means if you delete data at the filesystem level then space reclaim at block level will be very slow because it happens in 4MB pages which will take huge time.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Tim Gowen
Contributor

Thanks, I have two volumes:

2019-12-30 11_41_09-Remote Desktop.png

I'm guessing that it is 41% free in Windows. 

The message about not shutting down or restarting is worrying me, especially as I need to update the firmware.

As per the screenshot it clearly shows that Vol0001 allocated size 14.2TB but you said 41% free at the Windows Filesystem level for the same volume which means lots of space remaining reclaim back at the block level. Not sure how you get into this situation but ideally you must have deleted data from filesystem level over a period of time or suddenly deleted big amount of data which created this situation. That's why windows fielsystem level even though you have free space but block level you need to create that free space means windows filesystem and block level need to sync up so that same amount of space will get occupied.

Quick solution would be to take data backup, delete Vol0001 and recreate the Vol0001 again. Then restore data from backup.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Cali
Honored Contributor

On Windows Side check if Space Relaim is set on: fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

Google for: sdelete windows space reclaim

Check for:

defrag x: /L
PS C:\> Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter X -ReTrim –Verbose

Cali

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.