MSA Storage
1771362 Members
2103 Online
109005 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA 2062 Gen 6 and 6 Drive Pack SSD's not listed in HPE MSA Storage Array's?

WM99
Occasional Contributor

MSA 2062 Gen 6 and 6 Drive Pack SSD's not listed in HPE MSA Storage Array's?

I'm looking to purchase 24 MSA RI SSD's and I see in the doc below they only list  10k-15k Drives but not SSD bundles. However I see HP does sell 6 packs SSD. For example. Would these work with the Gen 6 2062?
HPE MSA 11.5TB SAS 12G Read Intensive SFF (2.5in) M2 3‑year Warranty 6‑pack SSD Bundle
https://buy.hpe.com/us/en/options/drives-storage/solid-state-drives/storage-solid-state-drives/hpe-msa-solid-state-drives/p/5387222 

https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/a00094630enwScreenshot 2024-06-26 135331.png

6 REPLIES 6
support_s
System Recommended

Query: MSA 2062 Gen 6 and 6 Drive Pack SSD's not listed in HPE MSA Storage Array's?

System recommended content:

1. HPE MSA 2062 Storage Array - Specifications

2. HPE MSA 2062 Storage Array - Option Parts

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Re: MSA 2062 Gen 6 and 6 Drive Pack SSD's not listed in HPE MSA Storage Array's?

HI,

Please check MSA 2060 array quickspecs (Page 23) to find compatible 6 hard drive SSD bundle details:

https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/a00094629enw.pdf?jumpid=in_pdp-psnow-qs

Only difference between MSA 2062 and MSA 2060 is that MSA 2062 goes with 2 SSD drives and  Advanced Data Services Suite License.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

JonPaul
HPE Pro

Re: MSA 2062 Gen 6 and 6 Drive Pack SSD's not listed in HPE MSA Storage Array's?

@WM99 
The MSA 2060 has Flash Bundle systems (2060 + 12x SSD) and flash 6 packs of drives.  The systems, S2E37B thru S2E42B,  are very competitively priced.
The SSD 6-packs are designed for these system bundles.

I work for HPE
WM99
Occasional Contributor

Thanks! Thats good to know that the MSA 2060 and the MSA 2062 is basically the same thing just the 2062 comes with extra drives + license.

I will get the SSD drive bundles with my MSA 2062.

Side question I plan to do MSA-DP+ as i see is the recommended for all flash. I plan to purchase maybe 18 of the drives with 3 of the 6x 960GB bundles. Do I set all 20 drives the two extra 1.92tb with my 18 960gb? or do I set a pool 18x960 and save the extra 1.92tb drives as incase a drive fails?

I assume I would also mark 1 drive as spare in both when i build a single pool on controller a.

JonPaul
HPE Pro

@WM99 
Here's another doc that will help with understanding MSA-DP+ disk-groups:  https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/a00103247enw
In a nutshell:
MSA-DP+ does not use external SPARE drives..  It includes spare capacity on each drive in the set and will rebuild faulted drives inside the disk-group, then when the faulted drive is replaced will rebalance the data to the replacement drive.
Having an extra drive in the enclosure will not be used.  You could keep a spare drive on a shelf or otherwise tucked away but it will not be needed urgently by the system as a traditional RAID set would.  In a default MSA-DP+ confiuration there is 2x drives of available spare capacity and then RAID 6.  This means that if there is enough time between drive faults for data to rebuild, the disk-group can lose 4x drives before becoming Critical (remember the IF).  The disk-group can lose 2 drives simultaneously (RAID 6) without data loss.
It sounds like you already have the 2062 system with 2x 1.92TB drives.  It would probably be recommended to continue with 1.92TB drives.  The MSA-DP+ disk-group will work with differing size drives but the recommendation is to not exceed Two Times of a capacity difference.  Due to how the STRIPE ZONEs are created, when there are few larger drives the disk-group may not be able to take advantage of all the capacity.  Much like traditional RAID levels.
If you have not purchased the 2062 yet then please verify the pricing on the FLASH Bundle systems before purchase.

I work for HPE
ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Hello ,

Please let us know whether the information shared by Jon addresses your query and if you need any further assistance.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo