6019 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA SNMPv3 traps and Insight Remote Support

Dardan
Trusted Contributor

MSA SNMPv3 traps and Insight Remote Support

Hello,

In the context of HPE Experts Day, I wanted to see if there's anyone who can shed a light on the following.
In our environement we use Insight Remote Support (ver. 7.9) for monitoring of MSA (2040/2052) arrays and SAN switches.
Due to security measures we're pushed to switch over to only secure protocols (i.g. https intead of http or SNMPv3 instead of SNMPv1). Monitoring of SAN Switches is now configured to use SNMPv3 traps, however the MSA arrays are not able to communicate with Insight Remote Support using SNMPv3 traps.

Insight Remote Support only accepts traps on port 1162, while MSA SNMPv3 traps are default sent over port 162.
Is there any way to get this working?

Thank you.
Dardan

Acclaimed Contributor

Re: MSA SNMPv3 traps and Insight Remote Support

this could help:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00088574en_us

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Dardan
Trusted Contributor

Hi Torsten, thanks for the reply. Already tried to configure 2 different SNMPv3 users, as explained in this advisory. Didn't work then found out the difference of SNMPv3 port usage between MSA (162) and Insight Remote Support (1162).

Note: HPE System Insight Manager != Insight Remote Support

According to current InsightRS guide it works with snmpv2 only.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

Port 162 is the default port for SNMP trap - which is why the MSA uses that port setting. There is no CLI/SMU setting to change the port for SNMP trap on the MSA.

You may want to contact the SIM server team to see if they can create a rule to redirect the MSA traps to Insight Remote Support port 1162.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo