MSA Storage
1748159 Members
4069 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA2050 disk transfer rate

celoxgroup

MSA2050 disk transfer rate

I have MSA2050 and 12G drives however SMU shows transfer rate 6.0. Is this normal?

If I hower on the chassis it shows midplane model 2U24-6Gv2. Having 12G drives are definitely more costly so I wonder if there is any benefit if midplane can support only 6G?

Kind Regards, Matt

7 REPLIES 7

If the midplane shows 6G rate then you will get transfer rate as 6.0 only which is nothing but 6 Gbit/s even if you use 12G drives. This is as per design.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo

Do you have any update or outstanding query?

Request you to please update on the forum so that everyone can get the update who are all following.

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with answers then kindly mark the forum as resolved.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
GMZ
Advisor

What is the point of 12G drives in the 205x if they only support 6G speeds?  It seems pointless to me.

MSA is entry level Storage and MSA 2050 designed with 6G backend speed only.

As per my understanding product document covers the same as well. Also supported additional drive enclosure interface type 6g as well.

HPE says 12g backend speed drives supported but that doesn't mean mandatory to use. These 12g drives can be use in higher end arrays as well. You can always go for 6g backend speed drives for your MSA2050

Did you verified with your reseller before purchasing MSA 2050 that backend speed 6g or 12g? or did you refered any product document where it was mentioned MSA2050 backend speed will be 12g ?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
GMZ
Advisor

I have been offerred the MSA 2050 full of the following drives:
J9F49A   HPE MSA 1.8TB 12G SAS 10K 2.5IN 512E HDD

So if the backplane of this MSA runs at 6G, why should it be sold with 12G drives?  It seems like a wasteful mismatch to me, or am I missing something...?

Reading the 2052 QuickSpecs on page 3 it says
ARRAY
   SAS host connectivity 6/12Gb
ENCLOSURES
   Drive enclosure interface type 6Gb SAS

Is it that if the 12G drives are in the array (not an enclosure) and the host HBA is 12G capable then we are achiving full 12G performance of the drives?

@GMZ 

SAS Host connectivity is front so MSA Controller SAS ports can be 6 or 12g speed to communicate with Host HBA capable of 6g or 12g speed. This is nothing to do with backend drive speed or midplane bus speed of 6g

You can always check with your reseller and specify which type and speed drive you want as per quick spec or HPE SPOCK.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo

@celoxgroup 

Do you have any update or outstanding query?

Request you to please update on the forum so that everyone can get the update who are all following.

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with answers then kindly mark the forum as resolved.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo