MSA Storage
1752591 Members
2710 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

P2000 G3 FC MSA Unable to create Vdisk with Sata SSD's

sjorsdeleede

P2000 G3 FC MSA Unable to create Vdisk with Sata SSD's

So i got myself a P2000 G3 FC and trying to get it work. 

I added 4 128GB Sata SSD's in it and it detect them corect and creating a vdisk with NRAID works just fine.

But when i try to create a RAID 5 array with those SSD's i get a error :

Unable to create Vdisk vd01.
An invalid device was specified. () -

When i try to create a RAID 5 with 4 SAS HDD's it works just fine. 

Is there a way to get it work, or is RAID not supported on Sata disks ?

1 REPLY 1
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Re: P2000 G3 FC MSA Unable to create Vdisk with Sata SSD's

Hello,

Please be aware the P2000 is an End of Life (EOL) array that went EOL on September 30, 2014. Prior to the P2000 going EOL, the array was never tested or qualified for use with SATA SSDs or SAS SSDs. Basically, the P2000 has no SSD support.

The fact you got the system to recognize the SSDs is more likely due to SAS negotiation rules. Since NRAID has no metadata laid down by the controllers, I am not surprised it worked. Any other RAID level, requires the array controllers to lay down metadata for the RAID layer. Because the controllers do not know where the boundries are with SSD drives they cannot create metadata and so cannot create a VDisk.

I suggest you do not use the SSDs even in an NRAID since this is untested and could produce unexpected bad behavior which would be risky for data.

To find supported drive options please refer to the QuickSpecs for your P2000 system.

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo