1748112 Members
3302 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: P2000 MSA G3 SAS & Proliant Gen9 Server

Ken Krubsack
Trusted Contributor

Well, an update of some sort... yeah, 11 months in the making.

As far as we're concerned, goodbye MSA, hello 3PAR.

BartCopaco
Occasional Advisor

Is there any progress on this problem. We tried DEP process to get H221 in Gen9 server
, but this is a very slow and difficult process. And has to be done for every MSA....
Still no info in spock.

It is hurting business !!

CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

@BartCopaco

Really good news to report. There's new H241 firmware that is making it's way through the hpe.com labrinyth and will soon be available on the H241 download page.  I can't tell you exactly when it will be there but I'm hoping this week. What you'll need is as follows:

• H241 Firmware -- 4.02 or later
  • ESXi 5.1 Driver – 5.0.0-118-1 or later
  • ESXi 5.5 Driver – 5.5.0-118-1 or later
  • ESXi 6.0 Driver – 6.0.0-118-1 or later

A couple of notes: Raw Device Mapping (RDM) is not supported and you have to disable VAAI ATS primitives with MSA firmware GL220R005 or earlier.

I haven't seen the release notes and my information is not a substitute for them so be sure you get all the information relative to these updates before you move forward. SPOCK will be updated as soon as the firmware hits hpe.com.

Talking to the MSA product manager, he told me DERs for using the H221 are almost instantly approved so not sure why your's are taking a long time other than there's a human hold up. If you want to pursue that, drop me an email and the PM said he can get it approved near instantly.  And note that the H221 will soon be a supported configuration without a DER. I've been told that literally hundreds have been approved.

BartCopaco
Occasional Advisor

@CalvinZito

MSA2040 GL220 release notes are also mentioning the H241 issue, 'not to update the firmware online'

Is there any sign of support yet, checked Spock, no changes.

OBP presales just says 'check spock' , no extra information......

regards, Bart

CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

The flooding in Houston has had a big impact on getting this out.  There was a foot of water in the buildings in Houston and unfortunately the teams that move fixes to hpe.com are out of commission. I'll see if I can get more information but I don't know if people can give any time frame with the damage that has been done.  I'll see what I can find out.

alerani
Frequent Visitor

Hi, any update about H241 Firmware 4.02 or later and ESXi 6.0 Driver 6.0.0-118-1 or later?
For now still appears to find only H241 Firmware 3.56 and driver 6.0.0-116

Regards

CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

See my response just before you reply - I don't have further insight into the delay from the flooding and in fact not sure that the HPE Houston campus is back online.  A foot and half of water sets things back.

alerani
Frequent Visitor

Hi Calvin, thank you

Could you recap what kind of behavior may manifest in case of infrastructure  with DL3xxG9 / H241 / MSA2040SAS? Loss of LUNS? Something similar?

Regards.

CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

My understanding is there's an issue where a path to the MSA goes down and the path can't automatically be restarted.  Unelss you see that and manually restart the path, you could have downtime. Because the path isn't automatically restarted, if you lose the other path, well - not good. 

I've been told that half of the solution is now available - but half is meaningless because you need both the firmware and driver update. I've been reassured it will be any day now.

alerani
Frequent Visitor