1758859 Members
3212 Online
108876 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP NETSERVER LH3 windows 2003 server upgrade question

prakash v

HP NETSERVER LH3 windows 2003 server upgrade question

Hi,

I upgraded the OS on NETSERVER LH3 to windows 2003.(did the bios update and other driver updates).

After the installation, the servers restart not working. If I select shutdown, it shutdown all processes and the message 'it is safe to turnoff the machine now' appears on the monitor.

Where as when I select restart, after few minutes, the display goes off, but I can here the sound of spinning disks (the lights still on). I have to manually power down the server and reboot it again. When I reboot it comes up without any problem.

Is something wrong in power management that not accepting the restart command?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Prakash.
4 REPLIES 4
T. Vander Auwera
Frequent Advisor

This model never supported Win2003.
See the HP Support document below for details:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=lpn11940&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=75195

HTH,

Tristan
e4services
Honored Contributor

That is interesting. Of course the unit will not power off since there is no power management on the older servers, but it should restart. I would look on Microsofts support pages for any reason or cause of such behavior.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
e4services
Honored Contributor

Also, remember, the "Support" list is a matter of definition. THe OS was released WAY after the server was. HP stopped support the servers before that, support meaning they stopped updating and testing. SO the testing of XP and 2003 were never done, so HP does not "support" the installation. This does NOT mean the OS does not function.
I would suggest that some Windows installed drive is not correct. We have an LH3 running XP that does not demonstrate this behavior.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Hi Prakash,

As E4 says, "Unsupported" doesn't mean it won't work; just that HP does not support that solution.

After you updated the BIOS did you clear the CMOS and load defaults? On startup, when it says "Press F2 to enter setup" press the key instead. This will take you into the advanced CMOS options. Move over to the Exit tab and choose the option to clear system configuration and exit setup. When it starts booting back up again, press this time and when you get into the BIOS, press to load setup defaults and then to save and exit.

As a side note, when you reset the CMOS, it enables the embedded HP NetRAID by default so if you aren't using it, you'll need to turn it back off before saving. Double-check your integrated controller settings before clearing.

Hope this helps,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

I am King...of my apartment.