108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LH3000 POST screen deosn't come up

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jordan Leong
Occasional Advisor

LH3000 POST screen deosn't come up

We have one LH3000 setup in our office.Todays,i found the server suddenly power down itself.Then,i try to power up the server again.However,there were nothing display on the screen and no any POST screen appear.We check that front panel displayed propely with the Yellow LED of server LED keep on flashing.The other LED are in green color like the fan LED,power LED etc.We have already try use different monitor and different power source.But the result remain same.Furthermore,there were no any beep sound come out from the server.Therefore,we would like to know what is the next step to troubleshoot the server.If there were any component we should changed.Please give us some suggestion.Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Re: LH3000 POST screen deosn't come up

Jordan,

Troubleshooting No Video can be rather difficult.
First step--> unplug the server for 5 minutes to clear out the cache--> While it is unplugged flip switch 5 to ON to clear CMOS.. Also while powered off reseat CPU/VRM, Memory and system board.
If this resolves the no video you had CMOS/Bios corruption.. Next step would be to power off server, flip switch 5 back to OFF and then flash BIOS.
If this doesn't resolve it->

Check power supply LED's on back of the server. The LH3000 requires 2 minimum power supplies to run. Are they both green when you power on?
Remove all keyboard and mouse--> If still unresolved-->
Next Remove all PCI cards--> If still unresolved-->
Power server on and as soon as fans spin up unplug the front control panel from the power management board (If this resolves the issue you can run the server without it and will need to replace it. This solves a lot of no video issues on a LH3000) If that still gives no change cable the Front panel up and remove all memory--> if you get a beep code with no memory your likely looking at a CPU/VRM or system board as the culprit at that point.. If you have a dual CPU server it is ok to run it as a single CPU/VRM without a CPU terminator for short durations for troubleshooting purposes. If you are only at single CPU,VRM you can leave the primary slot open and have the CPU in CPU Slot 2,VRM 2.

Good Luck..
Greg
Lets Roll!
Jordan Leong
Occasional Advisor

Hi Greg,
Thanks for your suggestion.
However,even i have try all method you provide,i also get the no video symptom.I have the two power supply on the bakc of the server are OK(In Green Light).All light on all board same to be normal(In Green Light).All fan are work propely.Even the server status yellow light would turn back to green light after the flashing yellow light keep a few of seconds.It look like the server should be no problem,but i don't know what those server get the no video component.I have already try to replace the power board and front panle with the new one.But the result remain same.So,if you had any good idead.Please let me Know.Thanks!
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi Jordan

did you navigat trought the front panel menu?
you could see the last events and may be found the cause of the failure,

under event log you will find until 512 system event, ordered by date, the highter is the latest, brouse between "system power down" and "system started" untill the day and hour of the failure, a blinking orange led is indicating a warning, maiy be it can help

bye

marino
Jordan Leong
Occasional Advisor

Hi marino,
We have already check the event log on the front panel.
Find there were some system event about the system boot(Post Completed).However,the lastest days for this event is on 3/3/2002.But the server work propely until 20/6/2002.
So,i am wondering what's wrong.If there were any suggestion.Please tell us.Thank!

Jordan
Brian Peters
Frequent Advisor

What is the speed of the processor? There is a problem with the 1ghz processors not seating properly.

If it is a 1ghz machine, you will have to bend down a couple of tabs next to the cpu.

The following url displays the results of a search please read the first result.

http://isupport2.hp.com/searchkb.asp?Region=NA&ShowResults=yes&ProductList=nsd&SearchStatement=lh3000+hang
Jordan Leong
Occasional Advisor

Our LH3000 use one PIII 733Mhz CPU.I have even try move that CPU to the different slot.However,the result same.So,if you got any suggestion,please let us know.Thanks!
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor
Solution

Jordan,

Make sure that there are no PCI cards in the server, Keyboard and Mouse are removed, Unplug cd-rom, floppy and make sure the hdd cage is not cabled to the embedded controller. Nothing plugged externally except power cord and video. With only a single CPU/VRM in either primary or secondary slot boot with NO memory. Do you get a beep code of 1-3-1-3? If you don't try a different CPU/VRM. If you still don't get a beep code and you have not video with more than one front panel you are likely looking at the system board or a power supply as culprit. IF you get a beep code then most likely you have a bad stick of memory and try memory one by one.

Doing this you can isolate down to just a few possible components that is causing no video..

Another thing.. on the LH3000 behind the fan on the system board is a bank of 8 led's.. That is PORT 80 which is the hex output of the beep code--> let us know what the pattern of the LED's are and we can see what value that translates to for where the POST is halting. Let us know the value and how you are reading it.

Good luck,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Jordan Leong
Occasional Advisor

Hi Greg,
We have already try your suggestion.No mouse,no keyboard,No cd-rom,No floppy and No HDD cage connection.One more is take out all memory.Just connect the video cable and the power cable.Then,we power on the PC.There were no any beep code come out from the server.Since we haven't any spare CPU,we cann't replace another CPU for testing.We have put the CPU into Secondary slot.Get the same result.Furthermore,i have check the status for those 8 LED.Here is the pattern:0=On,1=On,2=On,3=On,4=On,5=On,6=Off and 7=Off.We look for this pattern on the system board which all cover are opened.So,what is meaning for those pattern.If you got the answer,please let us know.Thanks!

Jordan

Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Jordan,

Depending on which way you are reading the LED's that translates to a 3F or FC code, both of which are not valid error codes which indicates most likely the CPU/VRM (Replace as a set) or system board are the root cause.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!