1753957 Members
7131 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LP1000r freezes when a USB modem is being installed

Cor Cornelisse
Advisor

LP1000r freezes when a USB modem is being installed

Ok this forum is my last hope. This is the situation. I've got an LP1000r and it has just like all only one Serial port, and two USB ports (just for the record). I've to connect one UPS (serial connector) and an modem. The most logic was to hook up the ups to the serial port, and try an usb modem (isdn or 56k didn't matter) on the USB. Well first installed the UPS works perfectly then hooked a modem up to the USB and the complete system freezes, I tried different installations (with and without navigator cd), and different types of modems. It kept freezing but sometimes it worked just after the installation, after a reboot however when the dial-up dialog appears it freezes. I tried it with a USB hub too, (thought it might be a power shortage) didn't work though, same problems. Then as a last hopeless trie, i bought a USB to serial hooked the utp up to the usb, worked fine. But here it comes no way I could get a modem working on Com1. (If you connect an HP deskjet or what so ever to the usb it works all just fine). Any of you guys familiar with this problem??? I guess I tried everything.
It's not a bug, it's a feature
4 REPLIES 4
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Cor,

It sounds like you finally have devices recognized off your USB on the LP1000. The fact that you are running a deskjet successfully off the USB but not the Modem indicates you have a conflict. What modem are you using?

There is no official HP support or testing for Any USB devices on NetServers so they may work and they may not. Are you running server 2000? What if you try linux?
Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Cor Cornelisse
Advisor

As you might know, the lp1000r and the lp2000r are not originale from HP, HP bought them form an OEM manufacturer. They fixed the USB problem by installing the HAL from the OEM manufacturer, after that it worked. I'm not very good at linux yet, still learning, so under linux I can't get it working. But under w2k I tried I think everything, even changed com ports etc. But it just keeps freezing, my guess is indeed to a conflict in the IO adressing or something like that. I've tried 5 different types of modems from different manufacturers the one freezes faster than the other :-) So after hearing from the HAL change I guess it solved the USB problem, but created this problem though.
You've any idea what I should do?? (Send it back again to hp ?)
tnx so far
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Cor,

When do you freeze with the USB modem? Don't send it back to HP because as I've said before its not tested or supported.

Does this example sound like your issue?

Q: Help! I get stuck (pauses) regularly when I am surfing (#550)
A: If your PC is freezing regularly, and you are on PPPoE using Enternet300 (most Ameritech DSL accounts), your computer may be looking around for a DHCP server that does not exist. Check the following: (windows)

Open control panel

Open Network

Look for the first entry in the scroll box marked TCP/IP, that is associated with a hardware ethernet card (ignore dialup, especially Enternet or NTS and VPN type bindings).

(If you have a 4060 USB modem, select "TCP/IP-> Efficient Networks SpeedStream 4060 CIP/1483")

Select it and press properties

Select IP address from the tab

Is Obtain IP address automatically checked? If so, change that to Specify an IP address and enter 192.168.1.10, and 255.255.255.0, into IP address and subnet mask fields respectively.

Click OK and OK, and the computer will build a driver information database and will require a reboot for the changes to take effect.

If you are using Windows 2000/XP:

control panel /network connections /local area connection /properties /Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) /properties.

Then use the following IP address:
IP address 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

This assignment of a harmless local IP address to the TCP/IP settings bound (connected) to your network adaptor, will stop the in-built DHCP services from waking up every 10 minutes to look for a DHCP server so that it can "fill in the blanks".
Taken from: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/amfaq/3.+Software+Issues

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Cor Cornelisse
Advisor

Hi, I don't think the DHCP is the problem, cause the system, in some cases, even freezes while still installing the driver!!! Besides I'm in Holland, so I'm using the europe ISDN settings. Besides that I checked at my ISP, but their server does have DHCP, so it really shouldn't be a problem. Any other sugestions??? Personally I think it might be something with the com ports, and again maybe caused by the HAL of the OEM manufacturer. When after a system freeze I reboot and check the device manager, however, there are no conficts or whatsoever.
Thanks so far Greg,
Cor