1753822 Members
8685 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: System board ID mismatch stops config file load

Milton Huang
Occasional Advisor

System board ID mismatch stops config file load

I just got an old Netserver LC that I was hoping to include in a cluster. I got a CMOS checksum error on boot, so I downloaded the ECU disk (Version G.00.10) from the website to run it. The screen locked up with a blank white screen when trying to run SAM, so I went to DOS and executed cf from the disk. The EISA configuration utility told me first that "a configuration file cannot found for this personal computer. Either this version of the EISA utility does not support this computer or the configuation file is missing." When I try to continue and load the HWPC081.cfg file for HP Netserver LC system board, I get a "system board ID mismatch," and it uses the hardware ID and I still have no configuation file loaded. What do I do?
9 REPLIES 9
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hy,
you need first to upddate the bios, second use the last ECU, you will found on the ECU all the files needed for the system, if you have added a EISA card on the server you will need the cfg file for this card.
here is the link where to found last bios and ecu:

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/swindex.pl?p=hpnetserve5436&l=en&c=BIOS

bye
Milton Huang
Occasional Advisor

I tried to update the bios, but the hpupdate program wouldn't let me. It said that my CMOS checksum was bad and that I had to run the configuration utility first! (which I can't do till I take care of the bios) Any way out of this catch-22?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hy
try tu use the comand with the -o switch, this will force the override of the NVRAM , this is used when the NVRAM is corrupted
example: hpupdate -o
be also sure that the swicht "flash enable "is correctly setted

bye
marino
Milton Huang
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the help on this. I'm still unable to flash the NVRAM. Switch settings are default (flash write on, config valid on, config unlock on). When I start hpupdate with the -o switch (or -O or --o), it doesn't seem any different. I get a white screen with a blue bar at the top saying 'HPUpdate Utility' and a red box at the bottom saying "ERROR The CMOS has a checksum error. Please run the configuration utility for your computer to correct this error." Any other ideas on how to get around this?

PS. how do you find out about this kind of information like the hpupdate switch settings?!?
Milton Huang
Occasional Advisor

Further info:

I found out by using hpview that my current BIOS is 4.04.31 (matches chip inside) and that the version of HPUpdate last used was A.02.01. The version I am trying to use currently is A.01.02. I don't know if that makes a difference.

-milton
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hy,
try tis procedure
take your bios update diskette

1. Edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT file on the Flash BIOS Update diskette. The default command is:

- @hpupdate -p

For 486 systems, update the line to read:

- @hpupdate -p -o -a

For Pentium (R) (586) systems, update the line to read:

- @hpupdate -p -o -b

2. Boot to the Flash BIOS Update Diskette.

3. A welcome screen will appear; press ENTER to Continue

4. A confirmation of the version (HP NetServer EPROM Information) being flashed with will appear; press ENTER to continue

5. A Warning message will appear next:

"The computer is set up correctly for an EPROM update?.. To begin the EPROM update process, press Enter."

6. Press ENTER to begin the EPROM update.

7. A status indicator and a warning will appear that the computer must not be turned off during the update. Once the update has been completed, the status window will show:

"The EPROM update has been successfully completed"

Continue=Enter

8. Press ENTER, a "Reboot Computer" prompt will appear. Press ENTER again to reboot the machine.
the data comes from an old service manual for the LC server
bye
marino
Milton Huang
Occasional Advisor

I'm still having problems. I still can't get HPupdate to overide the checksum error and flash the nvram. In case it helps diagnostically, I've included info from the boot sequence below, but I'm running out of ideas.

CPU=Pentium 133
System RAM passed
Extended RAM passed
System BIOS shadowed
Video BIOS shadowed
UMB upper limit address:F663
System CMOS checksum bad
Adaptec AIC-7770 BIOS [etc.]

Primary SCSI ID#0 ST32550N Drive C: (80h)
Primary SCSI ID#5 CD-ROM

BIOS Installed Successfully!

Error code 0202
Press F1 to boot from the Utility Partition
OR
Insert the HP NetServer Navigator CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive and press ctrl-alt-del to restart the server

Press F1 to continue

-----
since I don't have the CD, I push F1 and it starts MS-DOS and runs autoexec.bat and tells me the CMOS has a checksum error and I should run the configuration utility.

Still stuck!

Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi
Now I can see you have a LC Plus, and the error is a config error
error code 0202 on LC means " Corrupt Configuration, A) Check the config. B) Check that the software is not corrupting the CMOS. C)Replace the system board."

Download again at the following link the ECU utility

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/swindex.pl?p=hpnetserve19597&l=en&c=BIOS

Create a new ECU floppy, (be sure to full format the floppy before use it)
Remove all extra card filled in the server
Run ECU and try to enter in the bios, the with "View edit details", check config and exit and save
remenber that as your system is a eisa system, each card (eisa or isa) inserted in a slot eisa need a cfg file.
Usualy the 0202 error is only a corupted config or a cleared config

You can also try to use the original floppy disk labaeled LC #1 for the utility and LC #2 for the .cfg files

bye
marino
Milton Huang
Occasional Advisor

I don't know how you figured out that this was a LC Plus, but that did it! Everything is going smoothly. Thanks!!!