108799 Solutions
New Discussion

CIFS Non user access issue

Sundar66
Occasional Visitor

CIFS Non user access issue

Dear Team,

Greetings!!!

I tried to mount the wndows 2008 share directory in hp unix and successfully mounted.

I checked the cifs user list and find my result below.

% cifslist
Mounted Object                      Mountpoint                          State
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\53.90.225.109\NFS                 /nfs                                S
\\53.90.225.109\NFS                 /nfs/nfstest                        S
\\S365M020.IN365.CORPINTRA.NET\NFS  /nfs/nfstest/success                M
\\53.89.193.22\TEST                 /s365c023                           MS
===============================================================================
Server            Local User        Remote User       Domain            State
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
s365m020.in365.co root              ad1adm                              L
%

As a root account i can do anything... but non user account i'm unable to access the mounting directory.

My queries:

i tried to change the mounting point user and group access to ad1adm.

My user ID is "ad1adm". Is there any possibility to mount the windows directory in hp ux through CIFS services or Is there any possibility to change the user and group name of windows mounting directory.

access Issue:

% pwd
/nfs/nfstest
%
%
% ll
./success not found
total 0
%
%

try to change the user and group in root account

# pwd
/nfs
#
#
#
# ll
total 0
drwxrwxrwx   3 ad1adm     ad1adm          96 Nov 20 16:21 nfstest
# cd nfstest/
#
# ll
total 2
drwxrwxrwx   2 root       sys         131072 Nov 21 15:42 success
#
#
# chown ad1adm:root success/
#
# ll
total 2
drwxrwxrwx   2 root       sys         131072 Nov 21 15:42 success

thanks & Regards,

Sundar T

1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: CIFS Non user access issue

The HP-UX CIFS client needs to somehow know the Windows-side identity of all non-root users accessing the mounted shares. There are several ways to do this.

• the non-root user may use the "cifslogin" command to explicitly set his/her Windows username and password for the session.
  • if the user has a valid Kerberos authentication ticket for the Windows server, the identity of the authentication ticket can be used automatically
  • if PAM NTLM authentication has been configured to the system and the user has logged in using that authentication mechanism, the NTLM identity is automatically known and can be used by the CFS client.
  • if "cifslogin -s" or "cifsdb" commands are used to save the user's Windows username and encrypted Windows password in advance, this information will be used by the CIFS client.
  • if the Windows share allows guest access and there is no other valid identity for the user, the user can access the share as a Windows "guest" identity.

If none of these ways can be used to find a valid Windows identity for the user, the CIFS client will not allow the user to access the CIFS filesystems, unless "guestRemoteUser" is specified in the CIFS client configuration file. With that keyword, you can get the behavior you apparently want (i.e. all HP-UX users can access the mounted CIFS shares and they will all appear on the Windows side as one particular Windows user) - but this is not the default for HP-UX CIFS client.

MK