108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HELP SETTING UP A "Static IP Address" in Windows 2000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Reggie Bautista
Occasional Advisor

Re: HELP SETTING UP A "Static IP Address" in Windows 2000

Guys, I am new to the site and I am barley learning the nice features it offers. I looked all around and I can't find the drop down menu to assign points to each user. How do I do this? Thanks....Reggie
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor
Solution

OK. Piece of cake. I assume you have a hub or switch and that the some of the PCs are plugged into the hub/switch and some of them may be conected to the 3 ports on the router. One of your ports on the router should be connected to the hub/switch with a crossover cable:

Linksys reserves the 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.99 for static addresses. Let's assign the printer to 192.168.1.2:

Do this to the PC with the printer attached:

- Right-click on My Network Places.
- Left-click on Properties.
- Double-click on Local Area Connection.
- Click on the Properties button.
- Highlight TCP/IP, then double-click on it.
- Select "Use the following IP address." Then enter the IP address 192.168.1.2 with Network Mask of 255.255.255.0.
- Set the Default Gateway to 192.168.1.1 which is the default address for the linksys.

The only thing we don't know is the DNS address(es). Go to one of your working PCs which is connected to the internet and open a cmd window (Start/run/cmd) and type:
ipconfig all
It should tell you what DNS servers are being used. You need to check "Use the Following DNS addresses" and add them.

Once you exit out of that with OKs you can test your setup by trying to ping it from the PC where we opened the cmd window. Type
ping 192.168.1.2
and if you did everything right then you should get some replies. This means you have successfully installed a static IP address.

Now you just need to share the printer to the other PCs. Follow the instructions on:

http://broadband.earthlink.net/home-networking/networking/printeshare_w2k_index.html

Now on the other PCs you need to add a network printer. The following URL is pretty good - just skip down to where it says "Add a network printer" and start from there and remember that yours will have a different name.

http://nw.uwplatt.edu/is/oit/network/howto/addnetprinter-win.html

Ron
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Reggie:

Look for a pulldown arrow to the right of the word 'unassigned' at the top right of each posted message. You should be able to assign any value from 0-10. Please consider what thought or effort may have gone into posting a reply , even if the content doesn't solve your problem. Also, if you assign 8, 9, or 10 points, a "magical bunny" will appear in the Subject box for your message telling readers that your problem is resolved.

If the procedure doesn't work, let us know and please tell us what browser/version you're using.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Reggie_5

Guys,

Thank you so very much for helping me configure my Win2K systems, Linksys router, and HP deskjet 990cxi. I don't know how to better thank you, but I want to say the following: THIS IS THE FIRST WEBSITE I HAVE HAD SUCH A QUICK RESPONSE TO MY PROBLEMS. PEOPLE ARE FOR REAL, IT MATTERS, AND FRIENDSHIP AND BUSINESS IS A SUCCESS WITH ALL OF YOU. I JUST SIGNED IN YESTERDAY AND EVENTHOUGH IT LOOK LIKE A HARD PROBLEM TO TAKE CARE OF, YOU AND I MASTERED IT. THANK YOU AGAIN.......ESPECIAL THANKS TO Ron Kinner and Roger Faucher My Heroes.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Reggie:

Thanks for the virtual champagne. It's the only kind I drink.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger