3995 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: IO error encountered in rsync command

AnkushKalra
Advisor

IO error encountered in rsync command

Hi,

I am new to hpux.I have a script which sync data between host A and Host B using "rsync"

We use below script to copy data Between host A to Host B.

echo " *************Sync*********************">> /home/abc/rsyncLogs/logsFS1.txt
date >> /home/abc/rsyncLogs/logsFS1.txt
rsync -zavru /Filesystem1/ --delete --exclude='lost+found/' username@HostBIP:/Filesystem1/. >> /home/abc/rsyncLogs/logsFS1.txt
date >> /home/abc/rsyncLogs/logsFS1.txt

It was previously running fine.Since 2-3 days i am getting this error as below.

error:

*************Sync*********************<Date>
sending incremental file list

some/file/path

IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion

I beleive there is some issue in file permission.If there is,then please let me know on which host A or B there is permission issue

and how to resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The text "IO error" usually means that there is a disk problem. Since it is reported during the file deletion task, this occurs on the destination (B) machine. But without a lot more details, the exact problem is unknown.  We don't know what kind of machines are HostA and HostB. Are they both HP-UX? Or Linux? Or iMac? Or Windows....

So you'll need to figure out where the error logs are located in HostB. If HostB is running HP-UX, then the logfile /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log will be useful. You might run a dd to read all the tracks in the HostB filesystem. Sory, I can't provide any ideas for iMac or Windows...

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
AnkushKalra
Advisor

Thanks for the reply!!!

What kind ofproblem do you mean in Filesystem?is it permission problem or anything else,

Both Host A and Host B are HPUX Servers

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

IO error during file operations generally means that you have a bad disk. Have your sysadmin look at the logs.  Permission problems will usually be reported as permission errors. But since you are running mysterious systems on both sides of this transfer, this nothing but a guess.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
AnkushKalra
Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!!!

My friend asked a valid question that "What will be the impact of this error?"

My answere was : As per my knowledge,rsync is unable to delete data  on Host B which are not present in Host A.........is my statement correct?..........

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Your statement is correct but incomplete. The unknown computer with an unknown operating system and unknown logfile information is experiencing a disk error. As with any computer, a disk error is very serious and will not get better, only worse. Essentially, the error is reporting a possible failure of the entire disk and complete loss of the data on that disk. I would contact your support team and determine the next steps to identify the disk and perform an immediate backup of that disk before it fails completely.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
AnkushKalra
Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!!!

What do yo mean when you say "The unknown computer with an unknown operating system and unknown logfile information is experiencing a disk error." .

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

You have not revealed what version of HP-UX you are running on hostA and what kind of computer and operating system for hostB. I asked earlier if it was HP-UX, Linux, Mac, Windows. That's why hostB is unknown.

To solve this problem, you will need the help of a knowledgeable system administrator for both systems to provide answers to basic questions for HostB and also for HostA:

Operating system and version
Hardware manufacturer and model
Information from the system logfile and system console

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
AnkushKalra
Advisor

Hi,

I have replied in my 3rd Post that it is HPUX.

Below are details.

Operating system and version

Host A #uname -a
HP-UX Host A B.11.31 U ia64 2915055790 unlimited-user license
Host A#model
ia64 hp Integrity BL890c i2

Host B#model
ia64 hp Integrity BL890c i2
Host B#uname -a
HP-UX Host B B.11.31 U ia64 0697013711 unlimited-user license

Hardware manufacturer and model: Given above
Information from the system logfile and system console : what exactly you want here?

Please Note: Both Host A and B are Physical servers but Filesystem having "I/o" error is SAN filesystem.In this SAN Filesystem,i can create as well as delete files.

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

For HP-UX, post the output from this command to show the console log:

# dmesg

And then run your rsync script and if it shows the I/O error,
run this command to show syslog error messages:

# tail -100 /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

Is your SAN directly connected using fibre or is it a network share such as Netapp?

Bill Hassell, sysadmin