New Discussion юеВ

Re: Network Bandwidth Monitor

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sanjiv Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

Network Bandwidth Monitor

Hi Folks,
I found a sudden increase of network load in my machine which is 4 times more than normal through the perfview.
I haven't add any application newly to my system.When I see through perfview there are no error packets or no congestion in the network.
I would like to know who are the user consuming how much bandwidth of the network and by processwise also which will enable me to idenify the problem.
So suggest some utility to find process,user based network bandwidth consumption.
Everything is possible
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Have a look at using the 'glance' tool. It is really easy to use.

# /opt/perf/bin/glance

If you don't have it, you can install 60 day trial version from your application CD set.

You could also have a look at network monitoring and logging using 'nettl'. There is a man page for this as well.

Cheers
~Michael~
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

I'm thinking maybe you got heavy NFS activity. Glance can tell you quickly NFS stats for..
1- NFS global activity
2- NFS activity by system
For 1) ..
# glance -N
For 2)
# glance -n

Hope this helps ..
TAMILVANAN
Advisor

Hi,
When I checked glanceplus. It is not showing anything based on userwise or processwise network bandwidth consumption.It shows only the total in/out/error packets.
Can some body tell me which utility or command can be used to find the consumption of
lan card bandwidth in a HP-UX system with reference to user and process.
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

I think for that level of detail you will need tcpdump which is a free program.

http://www.tcpdump.org/

Alternatively, if you are connected to a Cisco router AND the traffic is passing through it then you can turn on ip accounting out on the interface and then sho ip acco will show you who is talking to whom and how many packets.

Ron
Punithan
Advisor

hi if u have any unix wor station than u can use glance with the grafic
and it will make u easy to monitor all the thing

bye
System Engineer