3179 Online
108832 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

change passwd?

Peston Foong
Advisor

change passwd?

Hi, All hpux experts.

My company have two servers K Class and V class. MC/ServiceGuard has been implemented if downtime comes.

V class server has a test system or console and K class server also has their own console. The both console have using CDE software.

Now, I wanted to change the root password. I found that after I done. The console password still the same as old ones.

Meaning the root password has been changed but the console password has not yet changed.

How to change all together instead of change one by one?

V class console and K class console hold the difference password. I have to change it one after another. Is it? Any way to make it simple when changing the root password.

I used the command like: passwd root then follow by enter the new password two times.

Please help.

Regards,
Peston.
6 REPLIES 6
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Re: change passwd?

Very interesting. CDE is not picking up the new password immediately. Simply select the option on the CDE screen to restart login server, this should then pickup the new passwd.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Peston Foong
Advisor

Hi,

How do I select the option from the CDE environment? Restart the console, is it would effect our live system?

Once a time, I seen my senior change the root passwd. He managed to changed all together but I could not remember how he did? Therefore, I have a bit curious when I encounter this problem.

Please help. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Peston.
Rainer von Bongartz
Honored Contributor

do you have pwgrd - Password and Group Hashing and Caching daemon- running ????

shut this down (kill) forever and try again

pwgrd did make me a lot of problems
He's a real UNIX Man, sitting in his UNIX LAN making all his UNIX plans for nobody ...
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

restarting the CDE Login screen on your console will not affect your running system.

This pwgrd password caching deamon is interesting, its running by default on all our servers. To safely switch it off for good in /etc/rc.config.d/pwgr change PWGR=1 to PWGR=0, and run /sbin/init.d/pwgr stop. Then try changing your root password and see if CDE picks it up immediately, it should.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

have a look as the passwd file itself and verify from the timestamp that it has been updated.
You might also want to verify your passwd command.
Make sure too your using the right binary,
whereis passwd and
which passwd

later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Peston Foong
Advisor

Hi, All.

By right one server may have their own root password. How do they put into one? I mean, K class server, K class console, V class server and V class console by right have their own root password, am I right?

Please show me the logic or the concepts of hpux.

How to make K class and V class sharing a same root password?

Any on-line white paper for this security password?

Regards,
Peston.