108863 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cold install; lost lan connection

SOLVED
Go to solution
jmb
Regular Advisor

cold install; lost lan connection

I probably am overlooking something simple. I just upgraded a D380 from 11.0 to 11i, with a cold install. We have a 10/100 lan card that used to show up as lan2, that was working fine. It's now moved to lan0, but I can't get in or out with it. 'arp' shows other connections on the immediate network, but that's it. What are some of the things I s/b checking? (The ip is set correctly, the interface is plumbed and up, etc.)

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8
Ian Dennison_1
Honored Contributor

Check out /etc/rc.config.d/netconf

odds are you need to change 'INTERFACE_NAME[0]=lan2' to 'INTERFACE_NAME[0]=lan0'.

Share and Enjoy! Ian
Building a dumber user
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If you know you're cabled to the right NIC (or port on NIC), then I'd suspect a mismatch in speed/duplex setting between it & the switch/hub port.
Ask your network team to verify the setting on the port & have them match whatever you want on the NIC (100FD ?).
Then just do a
/sbin/init.d/net stop
/sbin/init.d/net start
from the console as you'll lose connectivity when you stop.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Do an ioscan -f > /tmp/ioscan.out.

Edit ioscan.out file and make sure you do not see anything in UNCLAIMED OR UNKNOWN state. If so, then the drivers are missing. If everything is showing up correctly, then I would check the speed. If you were using it in 100 mode, then you may have to set the speed to 100 Full duplex.

Do lanadmin -x 0 and observe the speed if it does not say 100 Full duplex Auto-off then change it by using

lanadmin -X 100FD 0

Ping to the broadcast IP or your default router and see if you get any response at all.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
James Odak
Valued Contributor

does lanscan show the card up?
is the card enabled in SAM?

if none of the above fix anything

uninstall the drive
swremove
the re-install it (with 11i version)

drivers are funny sometimes
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor
Solution

If arp is working it sounds like a routing problem. Things you can check to verify the LAN:

lanadmin
lan
display

should show two ups.

If lanadmin looks OK and you see packet in and out then

netstat -rnv

and check for the default gateway and that your masking is correct.

Try to ping another device on the local LAN. If that works then ping the default gateway. If pinging the default gateway fails then you probably have the dead gateway problem where the gateway doesn't like to respond to pings so HPUX says the gateway is down. Either get the router to allow pings or make a change to ndd to turn it off.

ndd -set /dev/ip ip_ire_gw_probe 0

Put the same info in /etc/rc.config.d/nddconf so it will stay after a reboot.

IF the local ping doesn't work then try a linkloop test to another device on the local LAN. Use the -v option to get the verbose output and you may learn something about why it doesn't work.

If lanadmin shows it as up down then the cable is disconnected or its idea of which is lan0 is different from yours.

If it says its admin down then you have to look at your netconf.

Ron

Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Your message did say "arp shows other connections on the immediate network". This means you are able to talk to other nodes in the same subnet?. If so, the problem is simply with the default router.

Do a

#netstat -rn

Make sure you have an entry "default" specified and it is a router. If not, then add the default router with the following command

#route add default ip_of_default_router 1

Then ping. If it works, then fix the entries in your /etc/rc.config.d/netconf by searching for "ROUTE".

Or get your old netconf file from 11.0 system. Edit it and replace lan2 with lan0. Do a /sbin/init.d/net stop and /sbin/init.d/net start. Everything should come up fine.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
jmb
Regular Advisor

Well, thanks for all the suggestions. Everything checked out, except when I got to the 'netstat' command, and that showed the default gateway not defined. I defined that, and it instantly started working. Somehow it got missed during the install. So I did overlook something simple....

Thanks again to all for the speedy responses!
Paolo Asioli

Thank you Ron. Your answer solved a really troubling problem I was experiencing with my HP-UX server apparently losing the default route because the firewall didn't answer to pings anymore after a sw upgrade !

Thank you !!!!!