New Discussion юеВ

installing a patch, avoiding reboot

SOLVED
Go to solution
Salman Ahmed Qureshi
Frequent Advisor

installing a patch, avoiding reboot

Hi,
On my production server, i need to install quite a few patches so that i could install oracle agent on that. Many patches require reboot. Is it possible if i could install all patches wihout rebooting and at the end i do only one reboot. If i do reboot for every patch, i would need a longer down time. If possible, what option can i use with "swinstall" command to skip reboot.
Thanks

Salman
12 REPLIES 12
Lijeesh N G_1
Respected Contributor

Re: installing a patch, avoiding reboot

Hi,

Read the readme file of the patches for whether it required reboot, if it required you have to reboot the server. You cannot skip that.Combine all patehs and make it as a single bundle so that you can avoid reboot for individual patches. The skip opetion for swinstall is #swinstall -x autoreboot=false.

Reagrds,
LIJEESH N G
Salman Ahmed Qureshi
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
Yes it requires a reboot as it returns message when i try to install. Can you please guide me how to bundle all these patches in one file so that i need only one reboot?
Thanks

Salman
Lijeesh N G_1
Respected Contributor

Hi,

You can install all patches at a time by copy all patehs in a single depot and select all patehs at a time with swinstall.

Regards,
LIJEESH N G
R.K. #
Honored Contributor

Hi Salman,

If two or more patches dependent on each other it is better to create a bundle using swcopy. Installing them individually may cause system boot failure.

Have a look on the following threads that describes exactly what you are looking for:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1248925256392+28353475&threadId=607560

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/parseCurl.do?admit=109447626+1248925364726+28353475&CURL=%2Fcm%2FQuestionAnswer%2F1%2C%2C0xaf457b8d1de3d5118ff40090279cd0f9%2C00.html

Hope this helps,
R.K.
Don't fix what ain't broke
Suraj K Sankari
Honored Contributor

Hi,

From patch depot select all the desire patches which you want to install then download the tar or gzip file untar or uzip it then read the README file and install as per the instruction it will install all patches in a single reboot.

Suraj
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi Salman,

Follow these steps to create single depot for multiple patches.

1. Download the patches in binary mode to your PC.
2. Transfer all the patches to the directory "/tmp/patches" of your server in binary mode.
3.Extract the patch depots as below
# cd /tmp/patches
# for i in *
do
sh $i
done

4. The above procedure will give you patch_name.depot file and patch_name.txt file for each patch. Please remove all the files except the .depot files.
5. Create a depot bundle as below
# cd /tmp/patches
# for i in *.depot
do
swcopy -s /tmp/patches/$i \* @ /tmp/patches/depot
done

6. The above will create a patch source in the following path "/tmp/patches/depot"
7. Run swinstall command to install patches. Select local directory and select the source path as "/tmp/patches/depot" when prompted to do so.
#swinstall -v -s /tmp/patches/depot \*
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Salman,

The procedure is simple.

When you download patches from ITRC you will get one script called "Create_depot_hpux.11". extract all the files.
Just run this script, it will create current directory as a depot. Install from the same path it will reboot atlast .

attached the script here with.

* Please dont forget to read all "Special installation instructions and Other dependencey text" if any. Installing some patches with out enough prerequesite may damage your system.

Regards
Sooraj

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>R.K.: Installing them individually may cause system boot failure.

Proper patches have dependencies so you can't install them without them.

>Sooraj: Installing some patches without enough prerequisite may damage your system.

swinstall by default shouldn't let you do this.
But also check the Special installation instructions.
Bob E Campbell
Honored Contributor

As people have mentioned you can combine all of the patches and do a single reboot. You can build that depot with the download scripts provided from the ITRC Patch Database or the SWA get major mode. If you are not familiar with SWA check it out at https://www.hp.com/go/swa.

While you still have to deal with a single reboot, DRD can even help you manage that. It allows you to install the patches to a clone of the current root volume. This is only for 11.23 (11iv2) and later releases. See http://docs.hp.com/en/DRD/index.html for more info.