3412 Online
108828 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

java occupies more memory

Soundararajan
Occasional Contributor

java occupies more memory

Hi All,

I recently installed HP-UX 11.0 (Sep 2002 release) on this system (J6700) along with QPK bundle (that came with the CD) and the latest patches required to run java applications (1.3.1_02). The java processes running on this system unusally occupies huge chunk of memory (although the RES size varies between 30-60MB). The moment (say I start a servlet engine) a java process is started, I can see in top, that it occupies more than 200MB. This does not happen in any of our other HP machines. I have asked my developers to use -Xmx option with java to define the max. heap size, but not sure if this will solve the problem.

Although, the processes are occupying huge memory, it does not stop the application, although sometimes we get OutOfMemory exception. I am attaching the top output (txt file)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Soundar
A Newcomer !!
3 REPLIES 3
Steve Steel
Honored Contributor

Re: java occupies more memory

Hi

1)look at kernel tuning.

This may be related to max_threads_proc limitation. to 6This variable is set very low by default.. You will find further information in the HP-UX kernel parameter configuration for Java??? support in the Java Programmer's Guide.

2)You have a fairly old java. get a newer oner.

see www.hp.com/go/java

3)try hptools available to help tuning at above website

steve Steel
If you want truly to understand something, try to change it. (Kurt Lewin)
Steve Steel
Honored Contributor

Hi Again

Check patch levels as well since this can be a memory leak.

steve Steel
If you want truly to understand something, try to change it. (Kurt Lewin)
U.SivaKumar_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Decrease the dbc_max_pct kernel paramter to 30%. This will free up more memory for applications.

regards,

U.SivaKumar
Innovations are made when conventions are broken