6560 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Always have to ctrl-F5 to load page on HP websites

Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Always have to ctrl-F5 to load page on HP websites

Has anyone seen this before.

I always have to hard reload the pages on HPs websites. For example. If I am in this forum and I click on a link, the next page comes up blank and status says done. If I ctrl-F5 to hard load the page all is good until the next click of a link.

Issue does not seem to happen on any other websites.

Ideas ?
8 REPLIES 8
Eino V
Honored Contributor

Hi Tim

This has been quite common after Christmas to get a blank web site, but I beleave it is due of the problems on forum sites. I have not tried Ctrl+F5; I will try it next time I get a blank page. The forum works better now.

Here is one thread about the forum problems:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1087605

Eino
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the info. It does seem to be limited to the ITRC. Other HP sites, i.e. producuct info etc seem to work better.

Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Tim (and others):

The ITRC has a running thread dedicated to these issues at:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1087290&admit=-682735245+1168283451993+28353475

You might want to post there also.

Pat
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Thanks Pat,

Initially I did not think this was related to performance but simply my configuration and hence the thread to see if anyone else was experiencing the same.

Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Hi Tim,

I keyed in on your statement "Issue does not seem to happen on any other websites." My experience has been the same.

There have been so many site-related forums problems, that this indicated to me that it was yet another and that the moderators should be made aware of it.

I like your ctrl-F5 solution. I'll try that next time I encounter the curse of the blank page.

I know the moderators are motivated and well-meaning, and I know HP's web people are working on the issues also, but the problems are so ubiquitous. For example, the Oct - Dec performance issues thread:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1065087

I think HP (the corporation) needs to devote more resources and funding to resolving the forums' problems. I believe all these issues forums users experience here and nowhere else negatively impact HP's image.

Oh well, my 2 cents worth.

Thanks,
Pat

Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

Tim,

For me (using IE), it is inconsistent. Usually, when I get the hourglass for more than 10 seconds, the page is not going to load. So I click the Stop browser button, and then the Refresh browser button. That usually works.

You definitely want to copy-and-paste your thread reply into notepad before clicking Submit. It is possible that the reply form will lose what you have typed if the ITRC site can't be found.

Forum performance problems have been going on for years. Lately it has been pretty bad. One would think that HP would throw some money at it, but it seems to be low priority. I would not look for much improvement anytime soon.

J.
check Facebook
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Thanks all !!

Other than being slow or unavailable sometimes I must state that HP does have the best forums website !! A couple enhancements / fixes are always needed just about anywhere but between this site's format and it's participants it is the BEST !

Tim

Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Jay,

"For me (using IE), it is inconsistent. Usually, when I get the hourglass for more than 10 seconds, the page is not going to load. So I click the Stop browser button, and then the Refresh browser button. That usually works." AMEN

"You definitely want to copy-and-paste your thread reply into notepad before clicking Submit. It is possible that the reply form will lose what you have typed if the ITRC site can't be found." AMEN, AMEN AMEN (been doing this for years - hate it when I occasionally forget because that's the one that will get lost).

"Forum performance problems have been going on for years. Lately it has been pretty bad. One would think that HP would throw some money at it, but it seems to be low priority..." AMEN AD INFINITUM.

One additional item behavior I've noticed slightly different than you mentioned though, is that if my reply submission doesn't complete within 30 seconds or so, like you I'll click Stop, then refresh. I'll get one of 2 behaviors. (1) The page will reload immediately, and my reply is there, or (2) The page will not reload at all. In that case, I'll return to the daily email and click the link to the thread again. About 50% of the time, my reply is there. About 50% of the time, it's not. Then I'll re-reply from the Notepad copy I made (assuming I remembered to do so).

I've played around with this a bit, stopping the page as soon as 3 or 4 seconds after clicking Submit and then refreshing. My reply has generally been posted.

My interpretation from this is that most of the time, the reply is uploaded to HP's servers immediately. The delay or non-performance appears to be HP's servers returning the results.

I know the tech side of this has been doing what they can, such as a recent reindex of the forums to get the forums search function working properly again. I also wish HP would throw some $ at this. I would think they'd be a bit embarrassed since they are a tech company, and a lot of users are frustrated with this. Ie: negative image for HP's products, of which this is one.

Having worked for large corporations in the past, I suspecting that whoever up the management chain would authorize it is far enough removed from the operations level that he/she doesn't know, doesn't care, or simply can't get the budget to do so from corporate.

There are discussions in great detail of all the performance issues, if you care to read them, in the "Oct/Nov/Dec 2006 Performance and availability issues thread"

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1065087

If you want to post anything in the current, Jan/Feb 2007 thread on performance issues, it's here:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1087290

Until they do something, I'm treating it like having to go to the bathroom more often as I'm getting older. I don't like it, but I just live with it. Overall, the forums do provide a service despite the performance shortcomings. The service outweighs having to work around the problems, but they really should make fixing the issues a priority.

(he said, Copying to Notepad, clicking Submit, and saying a little prayer)

Pat