New Discussion юеВ

Questions Authors and Points Assignments

SOLVED
Go to solution
Richard Caputo
Honored Contributor

Re: Questions Authors and Points Assignments

XMAN

I have been using these forums for about a year now and have just started to contribute due to the fact that my knowledge of the products I work with have reached a level that may be useful to others. The excuse that others may not know how to contribute is bull...If you know how to post you know how to rate. I now check a users rating before bothering to answer any question to see how well they assign points. If it is very low, I dont bother.

Another issue is that with many of my questions, there have been sub questions added so that they appear under my original. I would like others to show consideration to post their own questions so as not to hurt my rating when these issues have nothing to do with my own and I dont rate them.

Just my .02

Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

XMAN:

The issues Richard presents are right on. I have often been annoyed by those very issues. I love it when people post to an existing thread that they have the 'exact same' problem (they have a different computer running a different OS, however). Maybe you should take all the posts in this thread and develop a list of 'pet peeves' and give the list to Dan. That might be more manageable for him to present to his management as ideas for change/improvement.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Ping!

I think it's about time to bring this back to everyone's attention again.

Hope you don't mind, XMAN. It just seems tim efor a refresher course...
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Good idea, John:

Perhaps people ought to consider commenting on the recent forum changes. I for one like them (once they got the quirks cleared up - we all really liked that pressing Enter no longer gave us a new line).

There are many new people coming to the forums who don't know squat about the existence of the point system or how to assign points. I think the point system works better than it ever has and is actually fairly intuitive. The one thing I would change is I would force a refresh of the screen after points assignment so people are not confused when they don't see the points they just assigned.

I've heard several people express disdain that the point system exists. I, for one, think it is essential. If it were discontinued, I'm confident I would no longer participate (No amateur psychoanalysis requested). Obviously, individuals have the right to not participate in the point system. I do occasionally check to see the 'track records' of people seeking help and opt not to help them if they exhibit a history of not assigning points.

I guess what I'm saying is the point system is important and newbies should be reminded to acquaint themselves with the forum rules/point system (perhaps each time they login for the first n logins).

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Thanks John C, for bringing this thread back to live!!!
I agree with ya guys, alot of changes as well as enhancements have been done in the ITRC Forums to make things interesting!!!
Users must understand that assigning points will give them a faster support replies!

"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

It would be nice if more people would take the time to assign points. Unfortunately alot of the unassigned posts come from pc users who wander across the forums from a search engine. The sign up and post hoping to get their quick fix... once they read the fix they're gone from the forums until they need another fix.

maybe they should set a flag that prevents someone from being able to "submit" new posts if they haven't assigned points (or 0 pts) to approx 50% of their questions.... or atleast have an annoying pop-up that reminds them they have posts with unasigned points and links to their recent unassigned posts when they click submit.

just my $.02 ;)

-denver
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

How about this.

Every time someone logs in to ITRC, they see an opening screen showing how many replies they've assigned points to out of _____. From that screen, there could be links to Point Assignment Procedures and Proceed to Forums.

Yeah, I like it.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Excellent Tips guys!
I hope DAN( the ITRC manager will join us soon)
Glad to see you here Denver! I always enjoyed reading your posts at the HP-UX side!
The same goes with Roger in the M$ side.
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
John Strang
Regular Advisor

What I find more frustrating than not getting points is not knowing if the advice I've given has helped.
I don't have as much opportunity to visit the forum as much as I used to (so my point increase is very slow) but when I do post it would be nice to know the outcome of the problem.

Just my ├В┬г0.02

Jo
If you never make a mistake you'll never make anything.
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Hihihi good idea !
Another one was to set up hats for non assigners too ! A kind of non assignment score... that would allow them to realise that assigning is the way it should work. Why not a broom... Some users do know ho to assign, have time to ask but not time to assign... :]]
You can lean only on what resists you...