1752402 Members
5484 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Win XP on Pavillion 8665c

Dave_36
Advisor

Win XP on Pavillion 8665c

I installed XP Home edition on my Pavillion 8665c 30 gig PIII w/256k and my system does not always recognize CD???s in both the CDRW as well as the CD Rom drive. It does see the XP install CD in both drives as well as a copy of my Office 2000. It does not however see any of the CDRW???s used for backup files (Like in Quicken 98)or jpg backups saved to cd in either drive. Is this a driver problem? XP recognizes both drives as working properly. Aside from this problem the system is working properly. Thanks for your help.
3 REPLIES 3
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Dave,

Try this link below,

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_computing/support_doc/bph06546.html

Hope this helps.

Regds
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Dave,

Here is another thread for you,

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_computing/support_doc/bph05566.html

Hope this helps.

Regds
Dave_36
Advisor

I figured it out. I needed to re-install cd creator (Roxio)so the drive could be used as a data drive/floppy. Roxio is the engine in XP out of the box strictly for CD copying. If you have an application you would like to use that references your burner you will have to re-install CD Creator 5 which includes direct CD. I thought XP had a more robust version/engine from Roxio. Either way if you are looking to upgrade your 8665c I can say it was a very smooth process. The computer has been running for a week now (rock solid) with no problems. This OS is night and day to 98 and ME. Lots of great features and very fast. The only upgrade HW wise I did was add 128mb-ram total 256 which made a huge difference. If you want additional info prior to upgrade email me and I will let you know a few other things I did in preparation and in discovery. FYI, I downloaded the free 90 day try before you buy from Roxio, which by the way is very nice software.