Operating System - NonStop OS
1752565 Members
5877 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

What is a computer operating system and where can I find a list of them?

Oliver5998
Occasional Visitor

What is a computer operating system and where can I find a list of them?

The question "What is an operating system?" is one I get asked often and I have even been told in the past while trying to sort out a customer's problem that their operating system is Google when in fact that is the browser they are using not the operating system. (Google does have an open source operating system called Chrome OS I should state) That seems to be the problem people but computers and no one ever tells them the basics of what they are using. Once paid  for you are kind of forgotten and left to fend for yourself.

So lets clear it and go through the main operating systems and exactly what they are and do.

2 REPLIES 2
MoisesPerez
Advisor

Re: What is a computer operating system and where can I find a list of them?

Hi Oliver5998,

Is simple, The OS (Operating System) is the core set of software on a device (PCs, Smartphones, etc.) 

What does the Operating System does? Manages all of the software and hardware. 

Examples of Operating Systems? Microsoft Windows, Apple's macOS, Linux (open source).

Regards,

hpe_banner_SME_signature.png

MaryHolly
Visitor

Re: What is a computer operating system and where can I find a list of them?

I would like to add to the above mentioned that Linux is used by many corporate organizations as a server and OS for security reasons while Windows is mostly used by business users because it is easier to use and even people who are not tech savvy can easily use a computer.