1748336 Members
3999 Online
108762 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Bypass Xwindows after VMS boots?

Tschroeder
Advisor

Bypass Xwindows after VMS boots?

I have an Alpha Server running OPenVMS 7.3-2.    When it boots, I get the regular operator console, but then at the end of the boot it asks for the system account and password and it goes into Xwindows and from there I can launch a terminal emulator and issue vms commands.   Is there a way to have the machine boot but NOT go into Xwindows?

11 REPLIES 11
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Yes, there are ways.  You need to know what your system/user base needs first, though.  Do you want the system to be a "server only" without any support for X-Windows at all?

You could either 1) take out the graphics card, disconnect the mouse and keyboard or 2) you could set the system parameter WINDOW_SYSTEM to 0.  It all depends on what you need that system to do.  OpenVMS itself will, most likely, work just fine either way.

bob

Tschroeder
Advisor

I set Window_system to 0 and rebooted.   Xwindows still comes up.   I checked the window_system parameter after boot and it is still set to '0'.   Any other ideas?

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Hoff
Honored Contributor

See Disabling DECwindows Startup for a newer description.

>(Boy, that "reading" thing is a miracle. In this context, "not particularly reliable" seems to be a synonym for "doomed".)

That text was intended as a generic comment to folks that were then-attempting to use the then-older approach on the then-newer releases.  At the time, setting WINDOW_SYSTEM did work on older releases (and was the
"preferred" approach, but it wasn't be reliable on the then-newer releases.   That particular text was written shortly after that, well, silly "yes I really mean to disable DECwindows" switch-over was implemented.

Off-hand, I don't recall which version of OpenVMS and DECwindows implemented the WINDOW_SYSTEM reset.

Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

DE you want Xwindows to be started jus on your console but be able to use it in a later state: You can change systartup_vms.com to bypass Xwindows to start. There are lines that state:

$! The following command should be used only if you do not wish the DECwindows
$! startup file to be run.  The DECwindows startup file should be run on all
$! types of machines, even if they are not using a DECwindows display.  If
$! you wish to run the DECwindows startup file at a later time during system
$! startup remove the comment delimiter ($!) from the line below.
$!
$! Until a solution if found for the problems using DecWindows, ignore it.
$!
$! DEFINE DECW$IGNORE_DECWINDOWS TRUE
$!

Just uncomment the last line
It will disable DecWindows to start at teh console but allows you to use it at a later moment (eg from a xwindows emulator)

Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Rick Retterer
Respected Contributor

The method of using window_system, was changed back in 6.2 of OpenVMS.  This was a sysgen resource setting that allowed a system manager to toggle between, EWS, Decwindows, and No Windows.

window_system = 0 - Disabled Windows

window_system = 1 - Decwindows XUI/Motif

window_system = 2 - EWS  - Elan Windowing System.

The use of window_system sysgen parameters are no longer used by OpenVMS for enabling or disable the window system.  The setting should be set to 1 on all systems.

To disable Decwindows from starting, you can use the logicals

$ DEFINE DECW$IGNORE_DECWINDOWS TRUE

$! Disables the Startup of Decwindows completely, including the loading of any Decw$* images into memory.

$ DEFINE DECW$IGNORE_WORKSTATION TRUE

$! Disables the startup of the Decw$server_0 process (which is the X display Server) but enables and

$! defines the logicals needed to run Decwindows and X based applications remotely to remote X Servers

$! running on PC's using eXcursion, ReflectionX, or Hummingbird eXceed, or any Open Source X Server, Unix

$! system, Linux Systems, or other OpenVMS systems that has the Decw$server_0 process running.

You can find details about these logicals and other Decwindows Logicals in the OpenVMS Decwindows System Management Guide. 

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/83final/decwindows/dwindows_mgmt.pdf

Page 2-6  Section: 2.3.1 Definining DECwindows System Logicals

Cheers,

Rick Retterer

- Rick Retterer