108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: COBOL editor for VMS with colors

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hoff
Honored Contributor

>HGFTP looks pretty interesting, but I gather that this server is only for VMS systems that do not have an FTP server or who would choose to use this instead of the one that they have?

HGFTP can be a better choice than the stock TCP/IP Services FTP client simply given that HGFTP is more compatible with and can more easily interoperate with one of the most common FTP clients in existence, where the stock FTP client doesn't. This is the Microsoft FTP client.

The stock FTP client is arguably technically correct in its interpretation of the FTP specifications, and the high-volume FTP client is arguably technically incorrect, but neither of the FTP providers involved here have budged from this deadlock in a decade or more.

And yes, if you don't want to simply disable the stock client, you can run HGFTP on an alternate port.

Or get sftp going, and stop sending cleartext passwords around your network.
Notilus
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for all the replies,

Both Eclipse & Vim are open source project, and I am looking for a IT company that sells products for Open VMS, and can implement the editor in my organization , and support it afterwards.

I have already posted a question to Laguru company about their Epsilon editor to get some more details about working with Epsilon on VMS.
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

>Both Eclipse & Vim are open source project, and I am looking for a IT company that sells products for Open VMS, and can implement the editor in my organization , and support it afterwards.

eCube Systems offers a commercial IDE for VMS.