108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Errors attaching to Database

SOLVED
Go to solution
odwillia
Frequent Advisor

Errors attaching to Database

I have developers getting the errors below. Do you believe this is an OS issue?

Thanks for your help.

SQLMOD :== $SQL$MOD/ANSI_PARMETER
SQLMOD DBREF:DB_WIP_PAY_SQL.SQLMOD
%SQL-F-ERRATTDEC, Error attaching to database WIP_DATABASE
-RDB-F-WRONG_ODS, the on-disk structure of database filename is not supported by
version of facility being used
-RDMS-F-ROOTMAJVER, database format 60.0 is not compatible with software version 70.1
%MMS-F-ABORT, For target DB_WIP_PAY_SQL.OBJ, CLI returned abort status: %X12228DCC.
definition of database:
(LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)
"WIP_DATABASE" = "UPE$DISK:[PROD.UNPAYENT.DATA]WIP_DATABASE.RDB"
9 REPLIES 9
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

The term ODS refers not to the OpenVMS files-11 ODS-2 or ODS-5 but rather to the structure of the RDB file itself.
This is confirmed by "ROOTMAJVER, database format 60.0 is not compatible with software version 70.1"

Looks like a 'simple' mismatch between the installed RDB version and the Database root being pointed to.

A simple google: +rdb +WRONG_ODS
points to a manual which explains:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/html/A90407_01/ig_ch2.htm

Did it ever work?

What changed?

You may hav to upgrade/convert that database.

hth,
Hein.

odwillia
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, that is really helpful.
odwillia
Frequent Advisor

How can I enable this to link to both databases at the same time?
The DBA seems to think this is an issue with system logicals since a reboot a couple of months ago. How can I check if this is the case?

The DBA says that this setup has worked fine in the past.

Thanks for you help.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Define "both databases". You can install 2 versions of RDB and have 2 DB (1 for each version).

Wim
Wim
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Oh, boy; I've spent way, way, way too much time inside Rdb over the years... This is a "normal" footprint of using multiversion Rdb; I'm surprised this case not better and more widely documented and more widely known.

If multiversion (MV) Rdb has been installed, then the relevant command procedures are RDB$SETVER.COM and RDB$SHOVER.COM, both located in SYS$SHARE:.

(Rdb 6.0 is ancient, and might have a different filename for the version selection - I'd see what a DIRECTORY SYS$SHARE:*SETVER* showed what Rdb was using. The filenames of these tools changed once or twice, IIRC.)

As for the startup processing and its selection of the Rdb version default, that usually involves a SETVER in the startup or in a login-related procedure somewhere, or (if installed) the non-MV version will be selected.

The -RDB-F-WRONG_ODS and RDMS-F-ROOTMAJVER errors are "normal" and typical and regularly seen in these cases -- particularly when you're migrating older databases forward, and get mixed up on which Rdb is selected. This SHOVER and SETVER tools is a basic and core requirement for using Multiversion Rdb effectively, and for selecting the particular Rdb version.

You can do a one-line invocation with some parameters specified on the @SYS$SHARE:RDB$SETVER tool (good for use in login-related or in system startup command procedures) or you can let the tool prompt you for the version. (Details on the SETVER calling syntax are in the DCL procedure comments at the top of the tool.)

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC

Hoff
Honored Contributor

ps: if you're not running Rdb MV here, then you'll be moving (and patching the root file) of the database to where you have a compatible version of Rdb, upgrading the database or the local version of Rdb -- and this looks like the DB is older than the running version, which is the better way 'round for this version skew to be -- or you'll be loading and using Rdb MV real soon now.

The SQL and Rdb tools all have version-specific incantations available when you're running the MV variants. The SETVER stuff sets the version for the default invocation.
odwillia
Frequent Advisor

$ DIRECTORY SYS$SHARE:*SETVER*

Directory SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB]

DECRDB$SETVER.COM;4 RDB$SETVER.COM;3 RDBVMS_SETVER.COM;4 SQL$SETVER.COM;5
SQLSRV_SETVER.COM;2

Total of 5 files.
odwillia
Frequent Advisor

I get this error when using version 6.0. But not with version 7.0.
SQL> SH VER
Current version of SQL is: DEC SQL V6.0-1
SQL> SH TABLE
%SQL-F-ERRATTDEF, Could not use database file specified by SQL$DATABASE
-RDB-E-UNAVAILABLE2, Rdb/VMS is not available on your system
%LIB-E-ACTIMAGE, error activating image $3$DKB100:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.][SYSLIB]RDMSH
RP60.EXE;1
%SYSTEM-W-SYSVERDIF, system version mismatch; please relink

Any idea how I can make this version work?
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I'd suggest some investigation before attempting access to the data.

As for your immediate question:

@SYS$MANAGER:RDB$SETVER.COM

Here's some related material:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/html/A90407_01/ig_ch2.htm#1006345

http://download.oracle.com/docs/html/A90407_01/ig_ch3.htm