New Discussion юеВ

NFS Error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Re: NFS Error

Peter,

Abbout the size I have realy no idea why is the file 10 times smaller. Check another time the sizes.

The speed is normaly slower, but I never tested on huge files. NFS was used for small files only.

An idea regarding yours problem:
If you need only to make an export of the database you can install the client part of Oracle on Linux and run the export (exp) command directly from linux.

Bojan

Peter Clarke
Regular Advisor

No, on friday i had about 1.12GB left on alpha disk this morning i had over 14GB so just to check this i copied the dump file back from the Linux machine onto the Alpha and i still have 13.07GB free, so something has gone wrong somewhere.
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Check if you can write so large files on yours Linux. There are many restrictions for files larger than 2G, you must have the right kernel. There is also a restriction in the NFS V2 protocol, where the files are also restricted to 2G.

Bojan
Peter Clarke
Regular Advisor

Bojan,

Is there an easy way to check this?

Regards

Peter
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

Peter,

with SuSE Linux, you normally see this in in the "uname -a" kernel name (something like "...-4GB").

HTH,
Martin
Peter Clarke
Regular Advisor

Version 2.4.20-9smp
GNU/Linux
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Peter,

Tests which cames me first in mind. On Linux:

dd if=/dev/zero of=test.huge bs=10M count=300

This will produce a ~ 3GB file filled with zeros (bs * count). Keep block size (bs) high for speed.

On VMS I am not shure if this will work (I have no NFS to test) but you can try. Create a fdl for a huge sequential file and invoke a CREATE/FDL command. This will allocate the space (but how NFS handles allocation?).

The fdl is something like this:
FILE
ALLOCATION size_in_512_blocks
ORGANIZATION sequential

Substitute size_in_512_blocks with testing size (try first with a small size to see if works)

Bojan
Peter Clarke
Regular Advisor

ok that created a 3GB on the Linux machine without a problem!!
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Peter,

If you have enough space on VMS try to copy the created file to it and back. Do this over NFS.

Bojan
faris_3
Valued Contributor

Hi,

The OpenVMS NFS client uses NFS V2 so the
size of the files is limited to 2 GB

See
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/info/SP4646/SP4646PF.PDF

page 3.

How did you solve the initial permission
problems ?