Open VMS Boot Up Issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Re: Open VMS Boot Up Issue

Deepak,

>>>
this is our build machine in a cluster with other machine.

The other machine in the cluster is UP.
<<<

combined with

>>>
1) >>>b -fl 0,1
<<<

should have a good chance of being unsuccessful, but more importantly: it might be DANGEROUS!
Depending on your exact cluster configuration, you just MIGHT corrupt your system disk.

Do things like that ONLY if you KNOW what you are doing.

-- does the cluster have a shared system disk?
-- what node boots from what system root?
It SHOULD be set up such that every root present is configured to be a cluster member, and then the cluster software WILL prevent multiple systems to boot from the same root, but from the info given so far I would not assume anything.

Be careful. Get knowledgeable assistance.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Oswald Knoppers_1
Valued Contributor

Re Jan,

From the startup:

P00>>>b -flags 0,1
(boot dka0.0.0.1.1 -flags 0,1)
block 0 of dka0.0.0.1.1 is a valid boot block

So he boots from a local disk.

Oswald
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Re Oswald:

>>>
So he boots from a local disk.
<<<

... or perhaps from a shared SCSI disk? Like I wrote, too little detail to jump to conclusions lightly.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Your system disk is corrupt.

If you continue with your current course and current activities and potentially bogus boot commands and given your current and quite obvious inexperience with VMS (no offense!) and given the relative likelihood that the existing cluster is itself might be misconfigured, you may well nuke more of the existing system disk contents, or you may well nuke another system disk in this cluster, or you might nuke whatever this box is working with; deleting or corrupting the data and application files.

Continue forward at explicit peril of additional data losses.

Roll out a BACKUP /IMAGE of this disk, on the off chance that the disk is failing.

Then examine the details of the errors and the environment, look to roll in your your disk backups.

Otherwise, expect to be reworking or reinstalling VMS.

It's also possible that somebody's been deleting or corrupting files, whether intentionally or accidentally. That can be a nasty case, even if it's accidental.

And it's also possible that the cluster is misconfigured, and files are getting corrupted. That's less likely, as the corruptions from that are usually more severe. But those corruptions do stack up.

If this configuration has data of any value, call in (more) experienced help.
RBrown_1
Trusted Contributor

As near as I can see, we don't even know if Malps is attempting to boot from the correct disk or the correct root.
abrsvc
Respected Contributor

Deepak,

As has been stated both indirectly and directly, you have the potential for makeing matters much worse. Don't take this personally, it is just that you are noe experienced with OpenVMS. There is not enough information here about either the specfic disk configuration nor the environment in general. Perhaps it is time to get additional assistance on site. Where are you located? There are a number of us here that may be able to help more directly. The main thing here is to get a backup of the disk if you can before more things get potentially corrupted.

Dan