1753971 Members
8188 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Keybd and Mouse turn off during PXE boot and don't come back

Vague Assumption
Frequent Advisor

Keybd and Mouse turn off during PXE boot and don't come back

If this is the wrong forum, please redirect this question.

It concerns HP500-400z desktops.

They function as they should, except for one major problem:  as soon as I boot them into PXE mode, the mouse and key board (USB) shut off as soon as the Win7 PXE logo appears.

A consultation with our hardware people resulted in the advice that the keyboard is bad, but I was able to get it to work under Win7 PXE mode.

In fact, I have twice gotten the keyboard and mouse to work under Win7 in PXE mode; I'm looking at it now.   But it seemed to be a sequence of undocumented steps in some magic order.

I verified that the USB ports can be all shut down from within the BIOS -- and recovered from that with F10 at the BIOS screen.

Is there any experienc with this:  it seemed to be a firmware issue in Dell systems, but these ain't Dells ;-)

I have 'cleared the keys' in the 'secure boot section of the BIOS'  Doesn't seem to help.

3 REPLIES 3
Vague Assumption
Frequent Advisor

Re: Keybd and Mouse turn off during PXE boot and don't come back

Solution:  when booting unde Win 7 PXE, as soon as the PXE OS loads, it turns off all the USB ports EXCEPT the lower two in the rear of the machine.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Keybd and Mouse turn off during PXE boot and don't come back

Are the ones that work USB 2.0 and the ones not USB 3.0? Many machines need an OS driver before USB 3.0 ports will function

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Keyboard and Mouse turn off during PXE boot and don't come back

This is the wrong company for printers and PC products. You need to register in the HP Inc. Support Forum:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/