Other HPE Product Questions
1752676 Members
6420 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Using Proliant Server memory on a HP EliteDesk 705 G1

JasonVu2017

Using Proliant Server memory on a HP EliteDesk 705 G1

I have a HP EliteDesk 705 G1 desktop that is using 2 x 4GB 1Rx8 PC3-12800U-11-13-A1  sticks for a total of 8GB RAM. My friend told me that he has a few Proliant server memory which might be ok for me to use.  Will this work? If so, what specific specs should i look out for in order for the memory to work on the EliteDesk? Is there a specific part # or similar code on memory that will make it work? Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
parnassus
Honored Contributor

I doubt: firstly because, generally, HP ProLiant Servers use ECC memory modules (I fear your HP EliteDesk 705 G1 isn't able to support ECC RAM module(s)) and, secondly, because memory moduled Hardware specifications (which include ECC property) should match totally...so, as example, if you notebook uses memory module with SODIMM form factor then your notebook can't accomodate memory modules typically used on HP Servers...and that's is just a single characteristic that need to match of many (Clock, CAS, Rank are others).

I doubt that a soho/prosumer hardware is compatible with a server class option like (especially) RAM modules: check related HP ProLiant Server QuickSpecs and your notebook official specifications to exactly verify what your friend told you about RAM modules supposed "compatibility".

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

This is the wrong company for printers and PC products. You need to register in the HP Inc. Support Forum:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/