1748333 Members
3291 Online
108762 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PSP 8.40 & HPSUM inputfile parameter

Gerardo Arceri
Trusted Contributor

PSP 8.40 & HPSUM inputfile parameter

We have a large installed base of blades and Proliant servers running Linux.
Before PSP 8.40 we used the --inputfile parameter to pass the installer the config options we needed for things like system management home page and so,
like this:
LOGFILENAME=/var/log/hp-tools_install.log
LSPOPTIONS=-v -f
CMALOCALHOSTRWCOMMSTR=private
CMALOCALHOSTROCOMMSTR=public
CMANOTAINTEDKERNEL=YES
CMASTARTSTORAGEAGENT=yes
CMASTARTWEBAGENT=yes
ADMIN-GROUP="admingroup"
OPERATOR-GROUP="opergroup"
USER-GROUP="usergroup";"hpshm"
ANONYMOUS-ACCESS="NO"
IP-BINDING="YES"
IP-BINDING-LIST=""
IP-RESTRICTED-LOGINS="NO"
LOCALACCESS-ENABLED=YES
LOCALACCESS-TYPE="Anonymous"

Now, that PSP 8.40 switched to the new HPSUM installer we have no way left of preconfiguring these items for our silent installs, the /inputfile parameter seems to have a different use.
I've found a configuration file that seems to contain these items called ldu_config.xml. but editing it from a bash script is somewhat difficult. is there any way to specify a plain file as the parameter ?
25 REPLIES 25
Bryan Swanson_1
Occasional Advisor

I too have just discovered that HP has moved away from LDU to HPSUM for Linux PSP's and that it appears that answerfiles are no longer supported. I prefer to deploy the PSP as the last stage of a kickstart install and I don't want to push PSP's from a centralized management station.

Additionally, I liked the ability to install the PSP from text-mode only, without requiring a GUI.

While this sort of configuration may be acceptable (or even a step forward) for Windows, IMHO, it's a step backwards for Linux.

Gerardo, please keep this thread updated with any information you may find. Thanks!
Gerardo Arceri
Trusted Contributor

I have your same setup (deploy PSP from kickstart), in case you didn't notice, PSP can still be deployed from the command line by using the following syntax:
./hpsum /f bpXXXXX.xml /silent

(Replace bpXXXXXX.xml for the matching file found in the distribution .tar.gz, in 8.40 it is bp000683.xml.)
That will install all the packages you selected to be installed by changing its matching line on the .xml file.
For example if you don't want to install the tg3 drivers supplied with PSP (they are a pain in the neck to maintain whenever you upgrade the kernel and the RedHat drivers work as well).
You would change:
hp-tg3-3.99p-5.src.rpm
for
hp-tg3-3.99p-5.src.rpm

you can use sed for that purpose.
Let me know if you need an example.
As for the switch to ldu_config.xml, the only way out i see is editing it somehow, perhaps using a XML parser of sort.
I'll report back with my findings.
Another option would be to edit, at least to configure SMH, to edit /opt/hp/hpsmh/conf/smhpd.xml after PSP is installed
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

Gerardo,
I took a look at this problem and found there were a number of parameters left out of the inputfile in the PSP 8.40 release. I've added these to the next PSP release (8.50) version of HPSUM so the inputfile should work just as it did with the old LDU once this is released. For the PSP 8.40, there are two ways to get this to work: 1) modify the ldu_config.xml file as you mention originally or; 2) use the GUI for configuration. I know you stated you were trying to do this from kickstart so the only option available for now is option 1.

I'm sorry you had to run into this bug and hope it won't deter you from using HPSUM in future releases.

Regards,
Michael Garner
HPSUM Architect
Tobias Schulze
Occasional Advisor

Hello Michael,

can you specify which parameters have been left out from the config file?

Thankd and Regards
Tobias
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

The following parameters are supported in the inputfile. All others will be supported in the next release of HPSUM scheduled for June.

HPHTTPSERVEROVERWRITE
HPHTTPSERVERADMINPASSWD
HPHTTPSERVEROPERATORPASSWD
HPHTTPSERVERUSERPASSWD
CMALOCALHOSTRWCOMMSTR
CMALOCALHOSTROCOMMSTR
CMAMGMTSTATIONRWIPORDNS
CMAMGMTSTATIONRWCOMMSTR
CMAMGMTSTATIONROIPORDNS
CMAMGMTSTATIONROCOMMSTR
CMASYSCONTACT
CMASYSLOCATION
Thomas Zimolong
Occasional Advisor

Dear Michael,
thanks a lot for the hint to these options for the input file. Just some remarks: First, these parameters are not part of the documentation I know of. neither hpsum_help_en.htm, nor CLIHelp.txt provide info about these parameters (CLIHelp.txt has no info, hpsum_help_en.htm, see "Parameter List", has a subset of parameters). Second: README.linux.txt doesn't mention hpsum_help_en.html. Third: Maybe you can "clean" up the quirky mix of dedicated parameters (one for each command line parameter) and the accumulated parameter "OPTIONS=" in version 8.50 :-] .
Thanks in Advance and Greetings, Thomas
Thomas Zimolong
Occasional Advisor

Hi! I have a suggestion, it's quite primitive, but maybe it works out. You can call the GUI once and make the necessary changes to your component config and to hpsum's behaviour. Have fun exploring the supported parameters :-]. But: You don't have to write them down from the GUI: At the end you can save this configuration and you will get a file called HDUCONFIG.cfg. This file ist ASCII Base64-encoded. You can convert to a readable format with:
# cat HDUCONFIG.cfg | recode ascii/b64..utf-8 > my_HDUCONFIG.cfg
Afterwards you can apply changes to that file so there's no need sed'ing ldu_config.xml. I didn't test, wether it works in non-encoded format or if you have to recode it back again to work. Hopefully I can test that myself tomorrow. Greetz, Thomas
Gerardo Arceri
Trusted Contributor

Thomas, can you elaborate some more on this recode/cfg idea ? i don't quite get what you are describing but i see potential on your idea
Craig Jackson_3
Frequent Advisor

I believe that VCA has a number of preconfiguration parameters. However, I have to admit that they've never seemed to work in the past. It's always been a pain to have to go configure VCA manually on every machine. (Especially since the VCA configuration dialogs are uniformly too small and must be resized to find the buttons that need to be pressed.)