ProLiant Deployment and Provisioning
1753405 Members
7294 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RDP 2.0 install of ESX 2.5 fails (BL20p G3)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ole Thomsen_1
Trusted Contributor

RDP 2.0 install of ESX 2.5 fails (BL20p G3)

I'm trying to deploy ESX 2.5 from RDP.

The installation stops with an error on the ESX server: Failed to login to Failed to connect to FTP server.

Accepting this error brings a new errormessage: Unable to retrieve the first install image.

10 REPLIES 10
Ole Thomsen_1
Trusted Contributor

I think i found the answer.

To install ESX from RDP one must have an NFS server, right?

We don't have any Unix/Linux boxes available, is it possible to use some sort of Win32 NFS service running on the RDP server?

MASCIO
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I think that you can find an answer on
page C-4 of the
HP Proliant RDP-Windows Edition installation guide (Must edit a cfg file to put the IP adress).

Michele
Ole Thomsen_1
Trusted Contributor

The ip address was in place, but examining the files gave me some ideas.

I checked, and the RDP server wasn't listening on port 21, so there were no FTP service running.

After installing the windows FTP service with \Deployment Server as root, editing a couple of paths in the cciss.cfg file and giving the anonymous ftp-user access to \lib, the installation finished with no errors :-)

Thanks a lot.
MASCIO
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Modified kickstart file too and... success
for the installation (I need to modify something else for the PSP install -not successfull-).

Michele
Ole Thomsen_1
Trusted Contributor

Well, I also found out afterwards that neither PSP nor Altiris client were installed despite they both are launched in the script :-)

Back to the old drawingboard...

BTW, on the VMware website an installation guide for HP blade is mentioned but nowhere to be found.

I contacted support and they told me that the document were removed because of a bug, but will be republished later.

MASCIO
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Did you have any (good) news from VMWare ?
I didn't find any document that could help.

Michele
Alfred Steinberg_1
Occasional Advisor

Hello,
the answer is in the HP ProLiant Essentials
Rapid Deployment Pack├в Windows Edition
Installation Guide on Page 5-23:
Pre-Deployment Configuration for VMware ESX Server Deployments
The following configuration steps are required to support VMware ESX Server scripted install jobs. It is only necessary to perform these steps one time.
1. Create a virtual directory named ├в ds├в mapped to the Deployment Server installation
directory. The default Altiris Deployment Server directory is C:\Program files\Altiris\
eXpress\Deployment Server.
2. Enable the Allow anonymous connections setting for the FT
Ole Thomsen_1
Trusted Contributor

To Mascio: No, I haven't heard from VMware support yet, and due to other tasks I have put this project on standby.

To Alfred: Your suggestion is similar to what I posted march 2., which is not the complete solution.
MASCIO
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Found this in VMWARE KB's.

Can I use HP Insight Management agents with ESX Server 2.5?

Answer
Yes, you can. The initial release of ESX Server 2.5 contained an error which periodically caused a system operation delay. This error has been repaired, and the repair is available by applying VMware ESX Server 2.5 Patch 1 to your system.
Install the Insight Manager agents after you apply this upgrade patch. Installing the agents after you upgrade ESX Server means you do not have to restart your server more than once.

Note: Hewlett-Packard recently released version 7.2 of Insight Manager. VMware is currently testing this version of Insight Manager with ESX Server 2.5. Check back for related updates to this article, VMware ESX Sever 2.5 Supported System Management Clients and Configuring Management Agents for ESX Server 2.5.

Michele