1751709 Members
4685 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1611 Fan Failure for HP ProLiant DL320eGen8

sensitivestoic
Occasional Collector

1611 Fan Failure for HP ProLiant DL320eGen8

Over the weekend my colleague and I returned to the office to find our HP ProLiant server stuck in a boot sequence and failing to initialize because of a 1611-Fan 2 Failure. We undid the chasis and inspected each fan and see no notable problems. If you let the server sit for a while it will boot without issue to Windows Server 2012 R2. After about 60 seconds though you'll hear the fans rev up to max speed and become loud in volume. Windows will report that a Shutdown is requested by the ILO. Startup will continue to cycle with message about a 1611- Fan 2 failure.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with this equipment as the previous admin left. BIOS shows no areas for me to conduct hardware diagnostics. Windows Event Logs show no helpful error messages. The server warranty expired in 2017 giving me no option to consider firmware or alternative BIOS updates. What's the best way for me to confirm the 2nd fan is the issue and how can I best conduct further diagnostics?

Thank you for any assistance.

3 REPLIES 3
tomereynolds
Occasional Advisor

This is not an answer to your question, but a troubleshooting tip from a similar experience with a HP Dl380 G8 that was also throwing temp\fan issues and shutting down...

SInce you see no fan issues:

Eject all the HDDs so they are not connected but still in the tray, and boot the server.   Does it stay up?    

We had an issue with 1 HDD that was causing the temp\fan issue.  We played the "insert each disk one at at time and boot" game until we found the one bad HDD that was causing the problem.     

Didn't make any sence, I know, but after 25 years of fighting with servers, I don't question the Gods when they present me with a solution that gets my server back up...

>  The server warranty expired in 2017 giving me no option to consider firmware or alternative BIOS updates. 

Do you have any current servers still under warranty?  The current SPP download will work G10s, G9s, and G8s.  

http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/products/service_pack/spp/index.aspx

sensitivestoic
Occasional Collector

With all bays ejected the server still stops booting with a 1611 Fan 2 message. Unfortunately no, we don't have any other servers. We're a small company. This is our only server for minimal domain testing and our internal ticketing system. The server was purchased many years ago and probably never received the updates/maintenance it needs. I was still trying to find something in the ILO to deactivate the incessant boot cycles and review diagnostic logs.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

First step I would do is swapping the fans around ... stays the error with the location or the fan?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!