ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752729 Members
5865 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

All HDD's in 2nd logical drive on 812 raid controll blinking fast in unison?

MatCat420
Occasional Visitor

All HDD's in 2nd logical drive on 812 raid controll blinking fast in unison?

I just installed a 2nd 8x drive bay into my G7 and filled it with drives, I have 2 logical drives in it, it's actually an exact mirror of what I have in the first 8x drive bay.  For some reason ALL of the green HDD LED's for the 2nd logical drive are blinking fast togther (about 4 or 5 times a second), which the mirrored setup on the other bay does not do, they only blink on activity.  What does this mean?  Note that under linux both 7x arrays are SW raided together with MDADM, so any activity should look identical on both sides.

I took a quick video to show what I mean: www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhGGZOBiHMk

3 REPLIES 3
MatCat420
Occasional Visitor

Re: All HDD's in 2nd logical drive on 812 raid controll blinking fast in unison?

So today they stopped the regular fast blink pattern and are just solid on except when there is a lot of HDD activity then they blink, but now just staying solid on, so wierd, does anyone have an idea why? And more importantly how I could get both bays to behave the same?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: All HDD's in 2nd logical drive on 812 raid controll blinking fast in unison?

If you install new disks and create a RAID, the next step is RAID initialization. Just like formatting the disks. This takes seversl hours.
Sounds like this is what you have seen

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
KK
HPE Pro

Hi,

Please see the image below for the HDD LED indication and pattern.

SAS SATA HDD LEDs.JPG

Importatntly, the HDD LEDs in either bays behaviour is controlled by IOPS. 

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo