ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752756 Members
4814 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Array Controller Not Recognizing All Drives

Carl Stone

Array Controller Not Recognizing All Drives

We have a very old 4314R storage chassis connected to a Proliant DL 360 G4 server. We are using a MegaRAID 320-2 array controller. The controller doesn't recognize anything beyond 7 drives in the chassis. When I unplug the SCSI cable from the server all 10 drives light up. When I plug it back, only 7 are active. I don't know if the problem is with the controller (LSI claims it is not), the chassis or the server. We also have a Quantum autoloader attached to the server as well just to confuse things. Anyone have any ideas why the controller cannot see more than 7 drives?
2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Does the I/O module in the M4314R have two VHDCI connectors?
In that case it is the "dual-bus" model. The first 7 bays are connected to one connector - the remaining 7 bay to the other one.
It is possible to replace the I/O module with a "single-bus" one that puts all 14 bays on a single connector.
Carl Stone

Uwe, thank you for the reply. I actually found your response to someone else who was having this problem back in 2006 and it sounds like this is identical to the problem I'm having. I ordered the single bus I/O card with the part number you provided for that individual and it should be here shortly. I should have searched the forums more thoroughly before posting. I apologize for wasting anyone's time, but sincerely appreciate the help!