1753931 Members
10045 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Basic steps to script for FW maintence 8.70

SOH BENG GUAN
Occasional Contributor

Basic steps to script for FW maintence 8.70

I read true the scripting portion of firmware maintence guide and it talks about the cmd to use with hpsum. However, I am not sure which part of the fw miantence controls the hpsum. Where do I add the command to flash certain firmware?

Another 2 qns: how can the above be done in PXE enviroment or usb drive? What files to change
7 REPLIES 7
Pber
Advisor

With the exception of the Disk drive firmware, the firmware can be updated from within Windows. If you have HPSim and Version Control, you can create a custom version control baseline that contains only the firmware updates you want. Then you can schedule to deploy the updates to the systems you choose.

We create custom baselines that include the latest PSP as well as any new firmware for our systems. The nice thing about custom baselines it that you can set the Version control agent to report based on your custom baseline and HPSim will report/alert on any systems out of compliance.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

... but remember, latest firmware DVD version is already 9.30 - 8.70 is quite old now.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I would also add, don't jump more than two revisions of firmware. HP warns it can cause issues. You want to do firmware in steps if you are that far back. Backup between firmware upgrades.
garym_1
Occasional Contributor

extract all from the ISO and go to the hp\swpackages folder. remove any of the *.scexe and *.exe's you don't need (check which ones relate to what from the bpxxxx.txt file) then use hpsum.exe /s (same folder) to install.
SOH BENG GUAN
Occasional Contributor

Regarding the hpsum.exe /s, I was wondering how do I execute this cmd if the UUT has got no operating system. How do I create a basic shell script with the cmd "hpsum -s" and ensure it executes this script instead of upgarding via GUI(slow). Appreciate any basic steps.

Do email me at fatsonado@gmail.com if anyone can share these knowledge with me. I really hope to understans how to use FW maintence cd or smart start to do server fw automation etc.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I would not do this. Not having all the firmware matched up could cause hardware to fail to work properly.
SOH BENG GUAN
Occasional Contributor

The firmware/configuration requirements are dictated by customers request. Whatever, they "validated", I will have to do it. If the order gets huge, we may face difficulty managing. Firmware Lockdown can speed up the process of upgrading/downgrading of firmware.