ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752794 Members
6282 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Best, most compatible Win OS for Proliant G8 server?

6BQ5
Frequent Advisor

Best, most compatible Win OS for Proliant G8 server?

I am getting a Proliant ML350p Gen 8 server for home use. It's a machine for learning server management/deployment and just having fun playing with high end gear. I will also use it for oddball things like running BOINC, gaming, and file/backup storage. 

I would like to know which version of Windows Server I should purchase for the easiest installation and most compatibility. Can I go with the latest and greatest, Windows Server 2019? Would I be better served (no pun intended) with something like Server 2016? 

Thanks!

тАФ
Boris
7 REPLIES 7
6BQ5
Frequent Advisor

Replying to myself as I think aloud.

The server has two E5-2640 V2 processors which gives me 12 physical cores. I'm sure one day I will want to max out the system and upgrade to something like the E5-2697 V2 which has has 12 physical cores per processor. Installing two of them will give me 24 cores. Wow-wee!

How would licensing and support work for that many cores? Don't the Server ediitions give you 16 core support standard and then an 8-core adder must be purchased? I'm wondering now if I would be better off going with a Pro or Enterprise edition of Windows 10 because they don't track processor and core counts.

Thoughts?

тАФ
Boris
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Good Day !!!!

Please follow the below link for  HPE Servers Support & Certification Matrices of ML350p Gen8 

https://techlibrary.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/windows.aspx

Please let us know for further assistance. 

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

6BQ5
Frequent Advisor

Hi Sanjeev,

Thanks for the link!

According to the matrix available through the link, the ML 350p, Windows Server 2016 is certified to work.

Has Server 2019 been shown not to work or has it just not been officially tested by HP? I imagine it would work by itself but  would there be driver incompatibilities? As a hobbyist and second hand owner, I'm ok with "unofficial" and "uncertified" knowledge Server 2019 would work.

Has anyone recently installed 2016 or 2019 on their Gen8?

-- Boris

тАФ
Boris
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello, 

Thank you for the update.

I tried in our Lab , I did face the SA controller driver issue because of that SA controller driver not available for Windows 2019.

I would request you follow the OS incompatible matrix of this server.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

6BQ5
Frequent Advisor

Hi Sanjeev,

Thanks for your reply and for testing Server 2019! You showed what I was afraid would happen ... driver incompatibility issues. Since Server 2019 didn't work I would imagine Windows 10 Pro, Workstation, and Enterprise won't install either because of the drivers too.

I Google-searched for "hp proliant ml350p drivers" and found this site :

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/product/5195931/Product?cc=us&lang=en#t=DriversandSoftware&sort=relevancy&numberOfResults=25

Using the filters for "2016" and "drivers" I see many files I can download. Can I ask you to confirm that this is the right place to download from? I know it's a silly question but I don't want to assume anything.

Your experiment saved me quite a bit of money because I won't be buying the wrong version of Windows Server.

Thanks for your help!

тАФ
Boris
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Thank you for asking me.

You are a valuable customer. We are happy to support you.

This is the correct link or HPE site to download driver and firmware. Please follow the same site.

HPE ProLiant ML350p Gen8 Server

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/product/5195931/Product?cc=us&lang=en#t=DriversandSoftware&sort=relevancy&layout=table&numberOfResults=25&f:@kmswtargetproductbaseenvironmentlatest=[5195931_Microsoft]

HPE ProLiant ML350p Gen8 Server.PNG

Please let me know if you have any queries.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.

Accept or Kudo

6BQ5
Frequent Advisor

Replying to my own thread here ...

I understand Server 2016 is the tested and certified choice of Windows operating system but I still had an itch to try 2019. Microsoft offers evaluation copies of Server 2016 and 2019 and they are free to download. The evaluation period is 180 days. I decided to download both and see like an experiement when and were the BSOD will appear. What do I have to lose? Maybe it will help the forum.

I had no problems installing Server 2019 on my Gen8. No blue screen of death. No lock ups. No system errors. I am a little surprised .. no, I'm really surprised! Next I need to find a long, long, long Ethernet cable to connect my Gen8 to my home router and install updates from Microsoft. Maybe that is where I will see some problems. So far, so good though.

When I bump into problems then I can revert to 2016 and see if the same problem exists.

тАФ
Boris