ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752801 Members
5596 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can I put a Dell Memory on HP proliant ml30 gen9?

AlanMartin
Occasional Visitor

Can I put a Dell Memory on HP proliant ml30 gen9?

Hello all!

I've got a HP Proliant ML30 Gen 9 with 4GB DDR4 UDIMM ECC and I need to upgrade to 16GB. I can get in my city provider only a DELL 2x8GB DDR4 UDIMM ECC

Dell Memory: Type RAM Capacity 8GB Technology DDR4 UDIMM Speed 2666 MHz Data Integrity Check ECC Tension 1.2V

The question is: Could I put this DELL memory on my server? 

Note: Is out of warranty. 

Ps: Sorry for my english, I'm not native. 

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
KevinSpringPM
HPE Pro

It will *probably* work fine, since HPE makes our servers to follow industry standards, and memory is governed by JEDEC standards, but it obviously isn't tested to work properly. Obviously HPE can't support non-HPE components, but you're out of warranty so it sounds like that's less of a concern. Personally, I would look into finding out if you can source RAM from a more impartial source, such as Axiom, Addon, Crucial, or Kingston etc, to avoid any odd customization that Dell may do to their memory. Also make sure the DIMMs are returnable in case it doesn't work.

I'm an HPE Product Manager

Accept or Kudo

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

It is not supported so it may or may not work.

If works, you may get memory authentication warning, which you can ignore.

but it may not give you any pre-failure/multi bit error information/alert.

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

Croweb
Frequent Advisor

Probably yes, but memory authentication warning should appear. You can simply ignore this warning and contiue with post.

Good luck!

We own our Data Center...and that makes all the difference!