1753818 Members
9051 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

can't add new hdds to Smart Array B120i controller

adar
Occasional Visitor

can't add new hdds to Smart Array B120i controller

I have HP ProLiant ML350e Gen8 with Smart Array B120i RAID controller, connected to a standart 6LFF drive cage.

I already have 2 hdds  in ports 1 and 2 working fine in RAID1, and now I want to add 4 more SATA HDDs, all of the same model. But, when I install them, for some reason only drives in ports 3 and 4 work (in addition to already present drives in 1 and 2). But drives in ports 5 and 6 are not visible at all, they are not even blinking with LEDs when the server starts.

What's the problem?

It's not disks - any of them work just fine in ports 3 or 4. And B120i controller supports 6 SATA drives, according to its specs, and I can see there are actual SATA connectrors for all 6 ports inside the drive cage, where SATA HDDs are inserted.

How do i get drives 5 and 6 working?

1 REPLY 1
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Re: can't add new hdds to Smart Array B120i controller

Hi,

It's working as per design.

"A SAS controller is required to support 6 LFF drives. Otherwise, only 4 SATA drives are supported with the embedded controller"

Please refer the server Quickspecs for more information.

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04128164 

(Page 18) which says:

Six (6) Hot-Plug (LFF) SATA Drive Bays

NOTE: A SAS controller is required to support 6 LFF drives. Otherwise, only 4 SATA drives are supported with the embedded controller. HP Hot-Plug 4LFF Shield Metal FIO Kit (704853-B21) must be selected to use 4 SATA drives with embedded controller.

also

Check HP ProLiant ML350e Gen8 Server - Cabling:

5/6 LFF Smart Array controller card cabling

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03648842

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo