ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753259 Members
5061 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't update firmware on P816i-a controller. Get error 0x14803 installing firmware on boot.

SOLVED
Go to solution
akschu
Occasional Contributor

Can't update firmware on P816i-a controller. Get error 0x14803 installing firmware on boot.

I can't seem to update the firmware on this gen10 server.  It has a P816i-a so I downloaded the firmware here:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX-1b866626447b4d64b798e0a52a#tab-history

I followed the instuctions and it appears to flash the firmware fine:

# ./setup
Supplemental Update / Online ROM Flash Component for Linux (x64) - HPE Smart Array P408i-p, P408e-p, P408i-a, P408i-c, E208i-p, E208e-p, E208i-c, E208i-a, P408i-sb, P408e-m, P204i-c, P204i-b, P816i-a and P416ie-m SR Gen10 (2.65), searching...
1) HPE Smart Array P816i-a SR Gen10 in Slot 0 (1.99)
Select which devices to flash [#,#-#,(A)ll,(N)one]> 1
Flashing HPE Smart Array P816i-a SR Gen10 in Slot 0 [ 1.99 -> 2.65 ]
Deferred flashes will be performed on next system reboot
============ Summary ============
Smart Component Finished

Summary Messages
================
Reboot needed to activate 1 new FW image

Exit Status: 1
Deferred flashes will be performed on next system reboot
A reboot is required to complete update.

But when I reboot I get:

A controller failure event occurred prior to this power-up.  (Previous lock up code = 0x14803) Action: Install the latest controller firmware.  If the problem persists, replace the controller.

The controller appears to work in the System Provisioning menus, so I don't think it's dead... I can even flash it again, but it never boots.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
BPSingh
HPE Pro

Re: Can't update firmware on P816i-a controller. Get error 0x14803 installing firmware on boot.

Greetings!

I understand that you get controller failure error lock up code = 0x14803 on the post after attempting controller firmware upgrade.

What is the smartpqi/Controller driver running on the server?

Please try the following steps:

1. Please update the controller driver to latest available revision (1.2.8-015).

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/product/1010026835/Product#t=DriversandSoftware&sort=relevancy&layout=table&numberOfResults=25

After the driver updates successfully, please reboot the server once and re-attempt the firmware upgrade process and check the result.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
akschu
Occasional Contributor
Solution

The driver has nothing to do with it as the error comes at post and is saying that the controller can't update it's firmware.

Anyway, I found that I can also update the firmware from the F9 "Intelegent provisioning" so I took the firmware file out of the RPM and wrote it to a thumb drive then applied the firmware that way and it worked.  So basically the firmware updater in Linux didn't work for me.

BPSingh
HPE Pro

Greetings!

Glad that the issue got resolved.

Suggestion was shared to update the controller driver beacause SmartPQI can also cause this issue and becasue you were attempting to update driver from OS.

Please find customer advisory below for different code however applicable.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00049213en_us

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo