5641 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot restore application server OS from cd DL380 G4

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tim Haddon

Cannot restore application server OS from cd DL380 G4

I've got a DL380 G4 running HP Windows 2003 storage server and although it has been completely wiped clean it keeps reporting that it is not a valid storage server and will not let me reinstall the OS! any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Tim,
Where is this reported ?
Did u use the Restore CD ?

Regards,
Tim Haddon

Hi James,
The server starts to boot from the quick restore CD then throws up a nice graphical screen that says that it is not a valid storage server. It was working until I ordered the HP upgrade to R2 and it screwed things up, at that point I decided to reload the lot and start from scratch, so I ran smartstart v7.9 to clear all partitions etc and then booted from the original restore disc and hey presto!
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Tim,

Did you DELETE the "DON'T ERASE" partition ?

If so, no wonder it doesn't recognize the server.

Something similar to Anthony's experience perhaps !
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1255213

Regards,
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Tim,

A lot of these types of problems with NAS boxes can occur if the product ID is missing in the BIOS settings. The product IS is used by the restore process to check if the system is an approved Storage Server model. If it's wrong or missing you get the "This is not a valid Storage Server" message.

For the DL380 G4 Storage Server models the Product ID will probably be one of the following:-
AE449A, AE450A or AE451A

Have a look at the front of your server and observe the serial number and product ID label on the left side. Use the information on this label to set these values in the BIOS using the RBSU (Press F9 during POST).

Go into the Advanced section and set the serial number if not already set. Then set the product ID field which is probably wrong or empty.
Once you have saved these it should be OK.

Please report back any further issues.

I hope this helps,

Brian

Tim Haddon

Thanks Brian,that nailed it.