108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Cannot update HP Intelligent Provisioning on DL380p Gen8

HFMike
Occasional Advisor

Cannot update HP Intelligent Provisioning on DL380p Gen8

Hi All,

Hopefully someone here can help.

I need to get Windows Server 2012 R2 running on a Proliant DL380p Gen8 server.

According to what I can find, the only way to do so is through Intelligent Provisioning v1.60

The server was at v1.40 so through IP I tried to run the firmware updates and it kept erroring out.

Created a HP USB Key with the IP ISO.

Everything seemed to work, starts booting into into IP and then gets just past the HP flashing logo.  Looks like I'm just about to get to the spot to where I can perform maintenance or install...

Then it just dumps me off to the Linux screen:

Warning!!! Unable to mount the file system

Dropping to a shell. Good luck!    <sheesh thanks>

/bin/ash: can't access tty; job control turned off

How do I get this to work?

7 REPLIES 7
waaronb
Respected Contributor

Re: Cannot update HP Intelligent Provisioning on DL380p Gen8

Bad image download maybe? Try mounting the ISO through ILO and booting it that way instead of with the USB key. Maybe the USB key it created has a problem.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

You should be able to boot the Windows media and do the installation, you can install the SPP later to update the drivers to teh latest versisons. You will need to run ACU to create the RAID array before you install Windows

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
HFMike
Occasional Advisor

@Jimmy Vance wrote:

You should be able to boot the Windows media and do the installation, you can install the SPP later to update the drivers to teh latest versisons. You will need to run ACU to create the RAID array before you install Windows

Unfortunately, all I have are ISO files of Win Srv 2012 R2

Server has no DVD drive and right now all my USBs are tied up (too lazy to go out and get one right now)

Guess later I could head out and either get a USB DVD or yet another USB drive

Well, guess I could wipe the USB I have the IP ISO..  Oh wait...nope not big enough

HFMike
Occasional Advisor

@Jimmy Vance wrote:

Already have RAID configured via IP (before I found out that I couldn't install Win Srv 2012 R2 from the version of IP that came with the server).

How would I set this thing to boot to the IP update ISO?

HFMike
Occasional Advisor

Ah, I see how to boot to ISO

@HFMike wrote:

@Jimmy Vance wrote:

Already have RAID configured via IP (before I found out that I couldn't install Win Srv 2012 R2 from the version of IP that came with the server).

How would I set this thing to boot to the IP update ISO?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

You can mount the ISO images using iLO virtual Media (requires advanced or trial license)

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
marcos10avila
Occasional Collector